Chapter Twenty-One: Leave Me Not

"Well, looks like I'll be sleeping on the couch then." I heard a voice say, waking me up. I opened my eyes, my face directly infront of Phoebe's, scaring me half to death. I looked at my other side, Nicole had put her onesie on during the movie, making herself comfortable. Her left leg was draped off the side of the bed, right was curled up. I looked out towards the door, Chance's bag was on the chair and he had taken his clothes off.

I sat up, carefully, trying not to wake up the girls. I crawled slowly to the edge of the bed and got down. As I walked towards the door, I saw the light turn off in the living room. "Chance? Is that you?" I said as I stepped out.

"Depends, is that my little midget?" He asked, proving that it was in fact Chance.

I ran over to the dark figure in the room, jumping into his arms, and instantly crying. "Oh C, why would you do it? Why would you leave me?"

He sat down, taking my legs that had been wrapped around him and setting them on his lap. He wrapped his arms around me, pulling me in closer to him. He wasn't wearing anything but his PJ pants, but he was still so warm.

"I love you Khlo. Seeing you hurt, crying most of the day: it breaks what's left of my heart. Sorry, bad use of words." He said, quickly catching what he had said. "I figured, if my heart was in the body of the man you loved, then I would be able to love you in a weird way."

I started crying again, "But I don't want you to do that. He can just find another donor. I will not allow you to do this."

He picked me up and set me on the corner of the couch, "Lie down, I need a buddy tonight."

He slowly set his head on a pillow set on our small couch, and I put my head on his chest. I can hear his sweet heart beating inside of him, right where it should be. I don't want it to be inside of Brayden, even if that means losing him. If he is stupid enough to take my best friend's heart, not even putting up a fight, I don't know what other decisions he may make in the future.

"You know I love you Khloe, much more than I've loved anyone before. That's why I need to give him my heart. He'll put it to better use." Chance said, he started to breathe differently, as if he is starting to cry.

"Chance," I said as I moved my arms to hug him, "I love you too. That's why you can't give him you're heart. Yes, I love him too and I'll be devastated if he dies, but losing you would be heart breaking. We'll find him another heart, someone who isn't needed in this world as much as you are."

He is crying, I can tell by how short and abrupt every breath is. I sit up, just enough so that I can see his face. It's covered in red marks, from wiping away the tears that were spilling from his gorgeous eyes. I reached out, wiped away the tears from one side of his face, and then the other. But when I got to that side he grabbed my hand, and turned it over.

"You see this?" He said, pointing to my wrist. It is covered in scars from seventh grade depression, coated in freshly made cuts. "This is why I need to give him my heart. You are a fragile soul Klo. I'm protecting you."

I pulled my hand away from him, pulling my sleeve over my wrist. I was wearing his sweater, I forgot that until now. "I'm not letting you leave me. You aren't going to leave me." I put my head on his chest again and wrapped my left arm around him.

* don't forget to vote *