Chapter Thirty: Magical Candies

The nurse said he was in room 304, right down the hall. I ended up taking a little package of candy for Brayden, Kenzy wouldn't let me leave without it. She is so hooked on the idea of them being magical candies because of a story he told her a while back. I can still remember that day too, it was as if it were yesterday.

~*~

It was Christmas Eve, the time when my parents loved throwing a party for just about everyone that we knew. But this year, I was still a little freshman so my gift giving skills were very limited based off of my babysitting salary. So, because of the limitations, I thought of cheap, yet meaningful, gift ideas for everyone.

I had a special little box of candies for Brayden, only because he literally always has boxes of candy for us when we go to watch movies. It was kinda nice how he actually had money to take me out on a date, even if we were 15. His parents had decided that an allowance was by all means necessary for their family.

I felt that I was going to be cute and put a little twist on this box though: each candy he ate was five hugs or kisses he owed me, whether he wanted to or not. He loved this idea, so much so that he almost ate the whole box that night. The only thing is, Kenzy was a little four year old, easy to impress. So that night, I decided to give her a little magic to hold onto for a few years.

"Brayden, remember Santa said that if you eat too much of those, you'll be sick. Magic candy needs to be eaten slowly or you don't get the magic part."

Kenzy automatically turned her head towards me, "Did you just say magic?"

Brayden looked at me, the cutest smirk stuck to his face. He knew where I was going with this, and wanted in. "Klo, you are going to let everyone know our secret."

Kenzy, now jumping for joy, was screaming. "Can I have some? I promise I won't tell!" She stopped jumping my, and plopped herself down in Brayden's lap. She gave him the cutest looking puppy eyes you could ever imagine.

"Fine, as long as you don't tell." He said, handing her a bright red candy. He looked up at me, his head was pressed against my knees. I was, by no means, sitting on the floor. Even though I vacuum them myself, I always feel that they are filthy. "I bet you can't wish for a new dolly."

Kenzy saw this as a challenge, "I bet I can! How do I make it appear?"

"You simply close your eyes and wish for it to appear. After you say the magic words, it should appear."

"What are the magic words?"

"Oh. I though you knew: please, thank you, and you're welcome."

Kenzy quickly popped the candy in her mouth and swallowed, then she shut her eyes, "I wish for a new dolly. Please. Thank you. You're welcome."

While she was reciting this, Brayden pulled a doll from behind his back, the one that he got for her for Christmas. When she opened her eyes, she looked out and saw it. The amount of happiness on that kid's face was priceless, it was amazing to see that Bray was able to bring so much joy to my little sister.

Later on, I pulled him aside, "You know, that was probably the best thing that could've ever happened with that kid. I can't believe you got her that doll she's been wanting."

He wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me in closer, "I almost liked seeing her smile as much as I did yours."

I smiled, for he truly was quite sweet. "I really want to kiss you right now."

This made him smile even more than he was already, "As you wish."

And he kissed me, ignoring the fact that we were surrounded by our family and friends.

~*~

I knocked on his door, even though it was already cracked open. He turned his head and smiled, a very weak smile, but it was more than satisfactory. "The nurse did say she would get you here."

I smiled, trying to fight back the tears trying to spill from my eyes. I started walking over to him, even if I wanted to run and jump into his arms. "There is no way I'm even going to leave your side."

He smiled, straining the very weak muscles in his body to do so. He seemed all to happy to see me, making me worry a little more than I was originally.

"Hey, the nurse wanted me to talk to you about something." I said, pulling a chair up to his side. I held his hand with mine and sat down. "There is a doner who wants to donate to you specifically, we don't know who this person is but they are being pretty persistent. I suggest you take it or you won't be here tomorrow."

He looked at me, as if a little surprised I would be like this after the whole thing with Chance. "But babe, what if it doesn't work? There would be two unnecessary deaths then."

I layed my head in his hand, I knew he would say this, or something along the lines of it. Without any warning, tears started falling from my eyes and landing on his hand.

"I love you, but I don't know if risking someone's life to save mine seems like the most noble thing to do. Besides, who would do this for me anyways?"

I stood up, not taking my head from his hand so my butt is sticking up in the air. I slowly slide my head up his arm and onto his shoulder, "Scoot over. I'm going to lay down with you."

He inched over to the side of the bed, making a small space for me to occupy. He layed his arm out, waiting for me to lay down. "Sweetheart. Do you really want me taking someone else's heart?"

I climbed into bed, sticking my legs underneath the covers. He wrapped his arm that was sticking out around me, holding me close to him. "More than anything I've ever wanted before. I could care less who's heart it is, I just want you to live. I want to grow old with you."

"Okay, I'll do it then. But if it doesn't work, please don't lock yourself away from the rest of the world. You need to open up to other possibilities too. Your happiness is all that I want in return from this surgery."

I smiled, "I won't need to find anyone else, you're going to make it through. You have to."

Don't forget to vote