04. This Is How We Say Goodbye

Nessie wakes to the sight of her nude body glued to Chance’s, memories of the night before flooding through her brain. Her face grows hot at the remembrance of the things she had done and the things she had let him do to her. She should feel ashamed but shame is the last thing she feels right now. She doesn’t know what happens next but she can’t wait to find out.

Slipping quietly out of bed, careful not to wake the man beside her, she tiptoes to the bathroom, splashing some water on her face as she stares at her reflection in the mirror. She’s bright-eyed, grinning from ear to ear, feeling like a lovestruck teenager. This is weird. She has never had this reaction to sleeping with someone before. Could this mean that she has feelings for Chance beyond those of a sexual nature?
If she does, she’s screwed. Or maybe not. He might have feelings for her too. She just has to play it cool and suss him out first, the rest will work itself out.

She takes a quick bath, dressing in what she likes to call ‘lazy clothes’ before making her way to the kitchen to make breakfast — all while Chance fucking slept!

She’s staring vacantly out the window, coffee in hand when Chance stumbles his way into the kitchen, naked except for a pair of briefs. He smiles at the sight of her, moving towards her. He pulls her into his arms, trying to kiss her but she resists, twisting out of his arms.

“Why not?” he demands, pouting.

She scoffs, rolling her eyes. “I’m not kissing your pussy-licking lips until you’ve brushed them.”

“You didn’t seem to care yesterday,” he says, a smug smile on his lips as he advance on her.

She push him away. “Ha, ha, ha, hilarious. Go brush your teeth, there’s a spare toothbrush in the cabinet and some soap if you need it, which you do.”

He moves closer to her, backing her against the cabinet as he says, “You’re being mean to me, Nessie.”

She smirks, raising her chin. “So, what are you gonna do about it?”

He pulls her to him, his lips hovering over her ear. “I’m gonna have to punish you,” he whispers sultrily into her ears.

“How?” she whispers breathlessly, her body hot against his.

“There’s so many ways, Ness, I’ll have to show you sometime.” He pulls away. “But for now, I need to clean myself up. Save me some food, will ya?”

Nessie can only nod as she watch him leave, wondering what exactly he has in store for her. If it’s anything like her imagination’s conjuring up then she’s got a lot to look forward to.

-----------

He’s happy.

Chance realizes after several minutes of staring at his grinning face in the mirror while he brush his ‘pussy-licking lips’ as Nessie had called it. He tells himself to stop smiling but for some reason, his face doesn’t obey him. Not that he minds, being here, being with Nessie, spending time with her and talking all night long, that was the closest he’s come to being truly happy in a long time. He never wants it to end.

And thanks to his practically foolproof plan, it’s not going to, at least not for a while. The only problem is getting Nessie to accept. She’s made it quite clear she doesn’t want anything other than one night of mind-blowing sex but his proposal is too good for anyone to refuse, let alone a broke college student.

He rinse his mouth before taking a quick bath and making his way to the kitchen, dressed in last night’s clothes. Nessie’s still drinking coffee but this time, she’s also working on her laptop, prescription glasses on her face.

“What are you doing?” he asks curiously.

“Some shit I have to hand in if I don’t wanna flunk the course. Also, I’m trying to see if I can get back on the stage of Cleopatra.”

He frowns as helps himself to some eggs and toast. “Wait, the same Cleopatra you got kicked out of?”

She nods, not looking at him.

“Why in hell would you wanna go back there?”

She sighs, turning away from her laptop. “Do you know how hard it is finding roles as a fat black woman on Broadway? It takes time, it takes money, it takes connections and I don’t have any of that to spare. Getting a role on Cleopatra was basically beginner’s luck and lightning doesn’t strike twice.”

“It actually does,” he points out, mouth full of toast.

She shoots him an unimpressed look.

He sighs. “Look, Rowan’s not gonna let you back in, the girl can hold a grudge forever. She didn’t speak to me for like five years after we broke up and our families are close so imagine how awkward the brunches were.”

“So, what? I just give up?”

“No, you move on. Find another role, one where you don’t get treated like shit.”

She scoffs. “Yeah, let me know when you find one.”

He shrugs. “I guess I can work a few of my contacts and see if there’s anything available but I’ll let you know before the end of the day.”

She blinks, taken aback. “Wait, you’re actually being serious? I was just joking.”

He stares unblinkingly at her. “I’m not, I can get you a role before lunch.”

She scoffs, not sure how to respond to that. “Um, yeah, I’m not so sure about that.”

“Why not? Everyone knows everyone, that’s how they get ahead.”

“I can’t exactly shit on Rowan Cox for using her status to get a lead role and then turn around and do the same thing. I’m many things but a hypocrite isn’t one.”

He shrugs. “Okay, so a leading role is out of the question, how does a supporting role sounds?”

She sighs harshly, annoyed. “Like you’re not listening! I don’t want some rich white boy to come fix my problems, I wanna do this shit myself. I don’t wanna look back and wonder if I would be where I am today if you hadn’t come along and open all the right doors for me. I wanna earn this.”

He sighs, understanding to some extent where she’s coming from but frustrated nonetheless. “Fine, I won’t interfere but how are you gonna get auditions if you’re too busy working or doing school shit? You need a better job, one with flexible hours and better pay.”

She snorts, holding in her laughter. “Oh yeah, where am I gonna find it? At the end of a fucking rainbow?”

He stares at his empty plate, no longer confident of his ‘foolproof’ plan. “Um, not quite. I was thinking you could come work for me.”

She frowns in confusion. “I could what?”

“Work for me. Well, work is not the appropriate word to use in this case but I honestly don’t have a better one in mind so —”

She cuts him off. “I don’t get it, are you saying you have a business you run and you want me to help with that or... what exactly?”

Chance sighs. He’s come too far to turn around, the only way out now is through. Whether or not she hates what he’s about to say, he has to say it or forever hold his peace.

He sighs again. “I’m saying I’m gonna pay you.”

She narrows her eyes, a sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach. “To...?”

He shrugs, trying to seem in control, like he isn’t nervous or scared she’d say no. “To do whatever I want, be whatever I want whenever I want. I’ll take care of all your expenses, get you whatever you want, give you a tidy sum to live on and all you have to do is please me and let me please you in return.”

Nessie stares dumbfoundedly at him, unable to believe his words. “Wait, are you saying you want me to fuck you in exchange for money? What do you think I am, a fucking whore?!”

“No, that’s not what I’m saying,” he says, trying to console her as she flies out of her seat.

“Oh really, then please tell me what exactly you’re saying!”

“I like you, Nessie, a lot more than I thought I would and I don’t want this to be one-time thing.”

“So, instead of asking me out like a normal person, you decide to buy me instead. Was it the blowjob?”

“What?”

“Did you think I was a slut because I gave you a fucking blowjob? That you could say anything and I’d go along with it because I’m some money hungry cumslut. Is that it?!”

“I don’t think of you like that, I was just trying to help. I knew you won’t take my money if I offered it to you but you might feel different if it was something you earned.”

She scoffs. “Earned? You mean getting you off and letting you come all over my face, some work that is.”

“Nessie.”

“I think you should leave. It was a mistake bringing you here. Everything that happened between us was a mistake and I fucking hate myself for that!”

“Can we please talk about it?”

“Get the fuck out of my apartment!”

He sighs, packing up his shit. “I know you won’t believe me but I wasn’t trying to disrespect or belittle you, I genuinely care about you.”

She scoffs harshly. “Funny way of showing that, Chauncey.”

He sighs again. “I hope you call me, Nessie. I don’t want this to be how we say goodbye.”

She says nothing, watching him walk out of her apartment and possibly out of her life. She feels like crying but contents herself with screaming instead.

Why does this keep happening to her? Why do men think that her willingness to sleep with them gives them the right to treat her like a disposable whore? And why does she fall for it every single time?

Frustrated, she screams again.

--------------

Ayo Babalola unlocks the door to their apartment, exhausted from hours upon hours of photoshoots, socializing and eventually  getting really lucky. But tired as they are, there’s only one thing on their mind — giving their roommate all the deets. After all, Nessie lives for this stuff.

“Honey, I’m home!” they yell, expecting a raucous welcome but only Pussy The Cat greets them, meowing from where she sits on the sofa.

“Puss, where’s Nessie?” Ayo asks the uninterested feline.

Pussy The Cat meows again, ignoring Ayo as she licks her paw.

Ayo scoffs. “Fucking bitch, no more treats for you, Puss. Nessie! Where are you?”

They receive no reply, surprised by the fact. They know she isn’t supposed to be at work today so where could she possibly be? They drop their bag and go in search of her.

The first place they check is her bedroom, assuming she’s asleep but while they find no Nessie, they find plenty evidence Nessie might have had company while they were gone. Curious.

The next place they check is the kitchen but no Nessie either. They head to the bathroom to pee, dialing Nessie’s phone along the way. They’ve just sat down when a phone ringing startles the piss out of them. They gasp, hand on their chest.

When they recover, they pull the bathroom curtain aside to find Nessie lying in the bathtub, phone ringing by her side and an empty bottle of wine in her arms.

“What the fuck, Ness?!” they thunder. “We were supposed to drink that together!”

Nessie smiles drunkenly. “Ay! You’re back! I missed you, babe.”

Ayo frowns, eyeing her despondent roommate. She might be smiling but there are traces of tears on her face. They crouch next to her, a worried look on their face.

“Nessie, what happened?” they ask, worried.

Again, Nessie smiles, shaking her head to the side. “What usually happens when people refuse to learn from history.”

Ayo frowns. “Fuck is that supposed to mean?”

“It means I’m gonna die alone because I’m never ever gonna meet a guy who won’t treat me like shit. They just don’t exist.”

Ayo sighs. “What happened this time?”

“Well, I fucked a guy I thought I liked and based on that, he concluded I was up for sale.”

“I’m gonna need a longer explanation than that, Ness.”

“Remember the guy I let finger me in the alley? Well, I let him do more than that.”

“Okay.”

“He turned out to be a complete asshole. And the worst part is I liked him. I fucking liked him, Ay! I fucking did!”

And then she starts to cry, Ayo watching with a solemn look on their face. They pat Nessie’s back in quiet comfort.

“I’m sorry, Ness.”

Nessie chuckles but it’s empty. “Not as much as I am.”

Ayo, done with this pity party their roommate is having, snatches the wine bottle from her hand, a no nonsense look on their face.

“I can’t do this. Nessie, I’m sorry you had a bad experience with a guy you liked but shit happens. Now you can either let it overwhelm you and cry in the bathtub till kingdom fucking comes or you can actually get out and come watch The Ultimatum with me. If that doesn’t heal you, nothing will."

She sits up, sniffling. “Can we watch Queer love?”

Ayo snorts. “Babes, like you have to ask. Come on.”

Holding out a hand, they help her out of the bathtub.

“Thanks, Ay.”

“Don’t mention. Now why don’t you go make us some popcorn? I still need to pee."

Nessie starts to leave, stopping as she recalls something. “Crap, I forgot to ask ‘bout your gig. Was it good?”

Ayo smiles. “Better than I expected. Don’t worry, I’ll give you the full deets later.”

Nessie smiles, already feeling better. “I’m looking forward to it.

------------

“Wait, two of them? At the same time!” Nessie exclaims, an incredulous on her face.

Ayo nods their head, smug. “At the same time. We were rolling and you’d think that might affect the mood but no, it made it ten times better. They invited me to stay the rest of the week but I couldn’t leave my babygirl alone.”

Nessie drops her mug of hot coco on the table, frowning. “Wait, you said no to a week of intense fucking. For me? Why?!”

“’Cause I love you?”

“Screw that! I will ditch you for good dick, not to talk of good dick AND good pussy.”

“Yeah but it don’t compare with good friendship.”

She place a hand on her chest, pouting. “Aww, that is so cute. Well, I’m glad you had fun.”

“I’m more glad I booked another gig. It’s another photoshoot but this one might be better than the last. Only thing is it’s overseas.”

“Overseas where?”

“I don’t know yet.”

“Do you even have a passport?”

“Yeah, I do actually.”

“Well, can you have a plus one?”

Ayo snickers. “I don’t think so but if I can, I’m definitely bringing you with me.”

Nessie beams, squeezing her friend’s hand. “I’ll have it no other way.”

They chuckle, half drunk on beer. A knock on the door sobers them a bit and they exchange quizzical looks.

“Expecting someone?” Nessie asks.

Ayo shakes their head. “Not today. You don’t think it’s your one night stand, do you?”

Nessie sighs, heaving her bulk up. “I guess there’s only one way to find out.” She heads for the door as another knock permeates it.

Ayo follow her, concerned. “How big is this guy? Do I need to get the bat?”

Nessie laughs. “It’s fine, Ay, I can handle him.”

“Girl, you know I fear white men more than I fear this city’s rent.”

Nessie shakes her head, not replying as she pulls open the door to see a middle-aged man standing behind it, a bouquet and a box of wine in hand. Ayo frowns, eyeing him suspiciously.

“Your white man is a fucking grandpa?”

Nessie shoots them an unimpressed look, turning to the strange man. “Who are you?”

The man smiles politely. “My name is Grayson, I work for Master Chauncey. Are you Ms. Nessie Howard?”

Brow furrowed, Nessie shrugs. “And if I am?”

“These are for you,” he says, holding out the flowers and box of wine.

Nessie accepts them, a confused frown on her face. “What’s all this?”

Grayson shrugs. “Master Chauncey’s way of saying sorry. There’s a note in the bouquet.”

Ayo plucks the note from the bouquet, proceeding to read it aloud.

Nessie, I don’t know what sort of flowers you like so I got you one of everything. I’d deliver it myself but something tells me my face is the last thing you wanna see right now. I really hope you call me again but I understand if you never do. I just hope you know I’m here in case you change your mind.
— Yours, Chance.

Ayo pouts, simping. “Aww, he sounds cute.”

Nessie shoots them a glare. “What the fuck, Ay?! We hate him, remember?”

“Right.”

Nessie turns to Grayson who waits patiently for her response. “Look, I know you’re just the messenger so I’m not gonna be as nasty as I wanna be. I want you to tell your boss to go fuck himself and that I am not and will never be up for sale.”

Ayo nods in agreement. “Yeah but tell him we’ll keep the wine and flowers because waste pollution is bad for the environment.”

Grayson nods, unaffected. “As you wish, ma’ams. Have a good night.”

“You too, Grace!” Ayo calls as they shut the door behind them. They grab the boxed wine from Nessie, a smirk on their face as they shake it saucily. “I wonder how long it’d take to get fucked up on this. Wanna find out?”

Nessie sighs. “Nah, I’m gonna put these in some water and head to bed. I have an early shift tomorrow.”

“Okay. Do I have your permission to get fucked up though?”

She smiles. “You do. Night, Ay.”

“Night, Nessie.”

Even though she went to bed early, Nessie didn’t sleep for hours, thinking of Chance, last night and what could have been. Pussy The Cat crawls onto the bed, laying down next to her, almost in comfort.

Nessie smiles, kissing the feline. “Night, Puss.”

As she turns off the light, Pussy meows back, showing she’s not a cold-hearted bitch, after all.

-------------

They're back!

I hope you all missed the boring fuck ventures of messy hoe Nessie and her boy toy, Chance. If you do, like and comment and I might surprise y'all with an extra chapter.

Also, if you feel there needs to be improvements in certain areas, feel free to let me in the comments section or on my message board. I welcome all kinds of criticism.

Thank you for reading and I hope to see you in the next chapters. Bye, motherfuckers! 😘