05. We Have Got To Stop Blaming The Vodka

Chance mumbles Nessie’s name in his sleep, a smile on his face. He’s dreaming about their last time together but in this dream, he hadn’t ruined it with his ludicrous proposal and this Nessie doesn’t hate him. She welcomes his affections, returns it tenfold. He holds her in his arms, frowning as she starts to melt away. He holds her tighter but it doesn’t stop her from melting away. Suddenly, rain begins to fall but the rain tastes weird, almost like... vodka?

His eyes fly open to see a figure standing by his bed, pouring vodka all over his face. Reflexively, he slaps the bottle from the person’s hand, a sharp cry reaching his ears as the bottle shatters against the wall. Blindly, he flips the light switch, frowning at the sight of his mother doubled over, nursing her hand.

“Mother? What do you think you’re doing?” he asks, steel in his voice.

She raise her face to look at him, her face blank. “Having a night cap, I thought you might like some but obviously, I was wrong.”

“It’s the middle of the night.”

She shrugs. “So it is.” She looks at the broken glass on the floor, sighing heavily. “Look what you did, Chauncey. Always making a mess. Mommy’s not gonna be cleaning your mess this time, Chauncey. You’re a big boy now.”

He frowns, hating her accusation. “I wouldn’t have made a mess if you hadn’t nearly drowned me with vodka.”

She laughs but it’s as empty as her soul. “Just like your father. Blaming everyone else but yourself. You’re gonna end up like him, you know. Looking for validation wherever you can find it. And you’ll never be in love because you’ll never know what it’s like to love. All you’ll care about is defiling every virgin cunt you can find and even that will not be enough for you. Nothing will ever be. And one day, you’re gonna wake up and realize the world has moved on without you. That day, you’re gonna drink yourself to death and no one will care, not a single person.”

Someone gasps, horrified. It’s Ginny in her bunny-themed PJs, hands clasped over her mouth, appalled by her mother’s words.

“Mother! Stop! That is no way to speak to your son.”

Debra stares blankly at her. “He’s not my son, Regina, he’s his father’s son.”

Ginny fumes, throwing her brother an apologetic look he shrugs off. “I think you’ve had too much vodka, I’ll call the Doctor in the morning. For now, let’s get you to bed.”

She shrugs. “Okay, Nurse Regina, let’s get me to bed.”

As she’s being led out, she says in a pleading voice, “Don’t leave me, Regina. I’ll die if you do. Promise you won’t leave, swear it!”

Ginny sighs wearily. “I won’t but only if you get in bed.”

“I will, I promise I will.”

Chance stares after them, a frown on his face. His mother has done some insane shit since he’s known her but this is by far the most unnerving of them all. He tries not to dwell on her cruel words, he’s heard enough of them in his lifetime to no longer be shocked at how vile they can be.
But as he cleans up the broken glass, he can’t help but think she’s half-right. He is his father’s son. He never tries to make meaningful relationships. All he cares about is satiating his libido and once he’s done, he moves on, looking for his next high.

Maybe he’s gonna end up like him too, miserable and obsessed with youth. He shudders at the mere thought of it.
He’s sat on the floor by his bed, thinking about his life and what he wants it to be, when Ginny knocks, making her way in as he grunts a reply. She sits beside him, sending him a soft smile.