t w e n t y n i n e

always the fool with the slowest heart

but I know you'll take me with you

I T SEEMS AS THOUGH THESE DAYS, Eden was doing all the heavy lifting as she carried Bella up towards the mountainside until they reached the peak where Jacob and Edward awkwardly stood in silence, waiting for them. She wasn't sure on how she managed to carry Bella up, despite her supernatural strength, the snow was falling in earnest now. The wind harshly hit her face as she set Bella down.

Jacob seemed relieved to see Eden, despite not talking since the last time they had seen each other. He quickly reached for a hug and laid a gentle kiss on her forehead. A comfortable silence between them until Edward let out an awkward cough. 

With a quiet mumble, Edward thanked her before scanning Bella for any injuries who shook him off her with a small smile on her face and faced the other couple. The air hung heavy with unspoken tension between the two Cullens until Bella's soft voice broke it.

"You should get back before the storm hits," she urged, concern laced in the furrow between her brows. 

Eden shook her head rapidly as Jacob spoke out in response, "No, we're staying. You'll need my connection to the pack, to keep tabs on what's going on. And wherever Eden is, I'm right behind her."

Eden glanced at Jacob, frowning slightly before she slowly reached for his fingers, and engulfed his into her own. Squeezing them gently as she faced the other too. Edward, though none-too-happy from the frown on his face nodded.

"You're not going to fight?" Bella inquired, a subtle plea woven into her words before staring at Eden confused. The were-coyote never updated her on what happened. She wasn't even sure herself. After the forest, they both left and hadn't uttered a word to each other since. 

However, the idea that the last thing she said to Jacob was held full of anger didn't sit right with her, especially since she didn't know what the future held. 

"Seth will spell me in the morning," Jacob reassured, his tone carrying a mix of determination and responsibility. "He's not happy about missing the action, but it'll keep him out of trouble."

Edward, realising Bella was beginning to shake from the cold, guided her away from the brewing storm, and led her toward the haven of the tent. Eden and Jacob stared at each other for a moment before he reached towards her.

"Let's get you inside," he murmured, his voice a soothing anchor amid uncertainty. They had their own tent, thankfully and didn't have to share with the other couple. His hand gently laid across her back as she followed him in silence.