23 (Ava)

I wasn't sure what reasons we could find that would justify me going to a Halloween party, but part of me felt that Dom owed me for what he had done. He would of course never see it that way.

Cat and Harry were joking around finding all kinds of silly excuses to why I needed to be there. It was sweet, and I liked listening to them. In the end I excused myself to go to the toilet, but I went to my bedroom and gave Dom a call. 

"Ava, are you alright?" Dom said when he answered the phone. There was the sound of music and people chattering in the background. I had no idea where he was, whereas he knew exactly where I was at all times. 

"Sure. I was just looking over my work schedule for the week," I lied and did my best to keep my cool. "Tuesday is Halloween, and there's a party at The Panic Room, a costume party with a contest for best costume. I want to represent you as a judge, now that you're out of town. It would have been great publicity to have the owner there, but I'll fill in." I was telling him more than I was asking. My assertiveness was a bold choice, but as I said, I figured he owed me one after messing me up. 

"Hmm," Dom said on the other end. "That makes sense." He seemed preoccupied and uninterested in what I had said. "You do that, darling. Be a good girl, stay out of trouble." Then he hung up. 

Was it that easy? Or was I right? Did he actually owe me after beating me up and this was how he made up for it?

I walked back in to join Cat and Harry. Niall had decided to join, so he was sitting on the couch next to Cat, making up reasons why I should be allowed to go to the party. 

"There you are," Cat said. "We have four reasons now, and Neil is just shaking them out his sleeves." 

"Ni-A-ll," he said demonstratively and elbowed her. She giggled and shook her head at him. 

"We could dress you up and pretend you weren't there?" Harry suggested and shrugged. 

I smiled at him and nodded. "Like a brown paper bag with a couple of holes cut for eyes," I chuckled.

"That would be an awful waste..." Harry said and looked at me cheekily.

Breathe, Ava.

"We don't have to make any excuses. I spoke to Dom," I said and went to sit down next to Harry.

Cat scooted closer to the edge of the couch. "What did he say?"

"He said it was fine. I told him there would be a costume contest, and the owner was supposed to be one of the judges, but I would represent him in his absence." I leaned back and looked at Cat's shocked expression. "What?" I asked her.

"So you're telling me that you told him what was going to happen, you didn't ask him?" She looked proud.

"I figured he owed me," I pointed to my cheek.

Harry looked at me and focused on my cheek. His expression was soft, but there was worry as well. 

"Should we go get costumes then?" Cat clapped her hands and looked excited. 

"Hell yeah!" Niall high-fived her, got up and held out his hand for her to take. "Let's go!" 

Harry chuckled and got up to his feet. He stretched out his arm and offered me his hand to get me off the couch. But when I was up, he didn't let go. Instead he kept hold of my hand and started walking towards the door. 

Be still my hammering heart. 

***

Liam and Louis joined us at the costume shop on Charleston Boulevard. There were rows and rows of costumes; anything your heart desired. We were like kids in a candy shop. Wigs, hats, glasses, capes - it was a costume wonderland.