57 | bloom

With the help of the miracle that is Lizzy Miller, I manage to deliver my batches of cookies for the blood drive on time. Mr. Clarke is happy; the blood donators are happy. All's well that ends well.

I thank Nate for enlisting his sister for me, but he shrugs it off, saying it wasn't a big deal. I think he has a habit of downplaying things. He knows I'd be dead in the water if it wasn't for her.

"Plus, I got this sweet bonus from her. Thank you very much." I show Nate my phone in the quad. The photo I took of the crab butt picture.

"DeMarco!" He lunges for the phone when I pull it away. "Goddamn. I have a reputation to uphold."

"Uh-huh, and this golden nugget would put all those crazy stories to bed, wouldn't it?" I hold the phone in front of my nose, making my eyes big. "This cute little cry baby would never grow up to be a hair-lighting, bathroom sex-having psycho, would he?"

His head slowly shakes in defeat. "Never should've given you access to that photo. You better not show it to anyone."

"What about Rachel?"

"No."

"Please." I rush to keep up with him striding over to the building. "It'll make her actually like you. Nothing I say can convince her you're not that psycho, but this will. Please."

Nate huffs, pausing with his hand on the door. "Fine. Only Rachel. And you're lucky I'm not really that psycho, because you sure as hell would've driven me to a breaking point rampage by now, DeMarco. No one's hair would be safe."

I laugh as he pushes open the door, weaving into the fabric of the halls.

Nate knows Lizzy told me stories, gave me insight into their family, into him. But I don't think he'd guess that Wes came up, or anything from that dark time in his life. Which means he wouldn't know that Lizzy exposed the rarity of him sharing that time.

I decided not to address it. The anxiety and relief he had that night at the aquarium already told me it's something he doesn't speak about often. I'm just glad he trusted me enough to share it at all.

〰️〰️〰️

I'm gathering my things at the end of history class, more than ready to get away from Mr. Morrison's ramblings when Simone catches me on the way out.

"God, I am so done with this semester. Big Bear is calling my name," she dreamily says, and I know she's fishing for me to ask her about her winter break plans. Skiing in Big Bear with Sean, no doubt.

"Yeah. Can't wait for New Year." I edge toward the door.

"Same. I'll be totally refreshed and rejuvenated after my ski trip with Sean. Our families are going together, can you believe? I feel like I'm living out a Christmas movie or something."

She lets out a giddy laugh and I internally roll my eyes. "Sounds like a blast," I say, sidestepping her.

"Look who's talking. You'll be having a bigger blast than anyone. About time, too. You held out longer than I thought."

I stop in my tracks. "What are you talking about?"

She lightly slaps my arm. "Going to New York with Matty, obviously! He's gonna spoil you rotten. Especially after."

I feel my ears pricking with heat. My neck, my hands. I can't tell. It's like I'm made of static. "Did you hear that from Sean?"

"And Carter. They were talking about it." She shrugs a shoulder, her bright eyes studying me. "It's sweet, though, isn't it? The fact that Matt's talking to them about it. Just shows how excited he is."