CHAPTER FIVE

~~Twenty minutes earlier~~

Leon and Claire had just gotten out of the elevator and ran towards the parking garage and found the other door which they assumed was the way towards the cells but before they entered, Claire heard a noise behind some of the cars there. "Leon, there's something there."

They both collectively grabbed their handguns and aimed them towards the noise and they slowly walked over to the car and they heard shaky breathing and when Claire quickly dove towards it, she gasped and she quickly set her gun back in its holster. "Leon wait, it's a little kid. Hey, it's ok. I'm not going to hurt you," she extended her hand out to the little girl but the girl was hesitant. "It's alright, we won't hurt you. I promise."

The little girl was still scared but she slowly grabbed Claire's hand and Claire pulled her in slowly, "you're alright. My name's Claire. Claire Redfield and this is my friend Leon Kennedy."

"Nice to meet you kid. Wish it was under better circumstances. What's your name?" He asked her.

"Sherry," the shy and scared girl answered him, "Sherry Birkin. I'm looking for my mom. Can you help me find her?"

Claire felt nothing but compassion for the girl and it was an easy decision for her to make, "of course we'll help you."

"Sure we will," Leon added, "listen Claire; why don't you stay here near the gate with Sherry and I'll go find the electronic part?"

"Are you sure? There's safety in numbers," Claire didn't feel right about Leon going by himself.

"Don't worry I'll be fine. If anything happens, run to the elevator and find Owen and Connor," Leon instructed her to do in case anything happened and Claire nodded, "I'll be as quick as I can be," Leon said as he ran off to find the electronic part and Claire waited with Sherry there.

"Is he going to be ok?" Sherry asked Claire.

"He'll be alright. He can take care of himself," Claire assured the little girl. "So what's your mom like?"

"My mom works for Umbrella. She's working on new medicine," Sherry explained.

"Umbrella? That big pharmaceutical company?" Claire questioned her.

"Yeah but she works all the time, I don't get to see her much."

"Well, hopefully we'll find her very soon," Claire tried comforting Sherry, "where's your dad?"

"My dad used to work for Umbrella with my mom but he's. . . gone," she answered with her head down.

Claire knew what it was like to lose both her parents so she sympathized with the girl, "wow. Both of my parents are gone too, it's just me and my brothers."

"Oh I'm sorry."

"Don't be. That means we have a lot in common and that's a good thing," Claire smiled at Sherry and she did the same but before either of them could say anything else, they heard some footsteps walking towards them and they could see a man with a gun aimed right at them.

"Show me your hands!" The man shouted and Claire and Sherry raised their hands above their heads.

"We're not infected!" Claire pleaded with him.

"Hmmm!" The man sneered. "Sherry, I've been looking all over for you."

Sherry seemed confused, she didn't know what he meant.

Claire stepped in front of her, "what do you want with her?"

"Shut your mouth!" The man sternly said as he walked over to Claire, his gun aiming straight at her, "get on your knees, now!"