intro / welcome in

"Whatever happened to the girl next door?
She's all grown up, she don't come home anymore
I hear them talking when she's not around
The sun goes down, she don't wanna be found (wanna be found)"

Addie had never been a fan of change. Her parents decided to move her halfway across the country when she was only 13 years old, and now that she's almost 18, they suddenly want to go back.

Addie was torn, she couldn't decide if she was happy to go back, or if she was sad to be back in her hometown.

Only so much had changed within her, she wasn't sure the friends she left behind in Boston would recognize the girl next door anymore. Her blonde hair had been traded in for dark black. Her usual yellow tops and colorful dresses were traded in for anything dark, no matter the weather. Her once tan skin had turned ghostly, making her almost look sick.

The biggest change was her eyes. They used to look so full of life, full of happiness. Now all they hold is resentment, and sadness. Like the girl that was once inside disappeared altogether.

"Can you believe we got the same house, Ads?" Addie's mother, Claire,  asked from the front seat, making Addie sigh.

She just hummed in response, starting to recognize some of the small shops they were driving past. The locally owned ice cream shop was still open, she noticed. Maybe she'd work up the courage to go get her favorite flavor, even if the small shop was tainted with painful memories she'd do anything to relive again.

8 years ago...

"Addie, wait for me!" A boyish scream followed the girl running towards the ice cream shop. Addie turned towards the voice, a smile immediately tugging on her lips. Chris, her best friend, was sprinting to catch up with her.

Addie giggled as he came to a screeching halt next to her, bent over at the waist trying to catch his breath.

"I thought you got grounded Chris?" Addie questioned as they resumed walking. Chris huffed, rolling his eyes.

"I had to beg my mom to let me come, I told her you were going by yourself and she let me come but didn't give me any money." Chris frowned, looking at his best friend.

"Oh," Addie replied, thinking it was really sweet he still wanted to join her even if it meant he wouldn't get a sweet treat for himself. "I'll share mine with you then!" She declared, making the boy grin at her.

"This is why you're my best friend, Ads." Chris giggled, opening the door for her and letting her enter first.

"Want your usual Addie?" Ruby, the owner and cashier asked as he turned towards the two kids.

"Yes please," Addie replied, handing over the five dollar bill. "Could I get two spoons this time?" She asked, glancing at Chris who was admiring the ice cream through the clear glass. Ruby nodded and got her order ready, with two spoons this time.

The pair sat on the bench, Addie handing Chris the extra spoon. "Here," Chris said, taking the bowl from Addie. He split the ice cream down the middle, shoving the bowls contents to the sides so there was a gap between the two servings. He turned the bowl towards Addie, giving her the bigger portion. He held the bowl in his hands as he gestured to begin eating.

"I can hold it Chris." Addie protested, making Chris shake his head.

"I'll hold it so your hands don't get cold." He insisted, making Addie grin. For being 9 years old, he was the biggest sweetheart Addie knew.

"Have you talked to the boys about coming back? Or Alahna?" Her mom pressed on, shaking her from the memory. Addie glanced at her mom, who was glancing back at her, looking worried.

"Mom, for the millionth time, I haven't spoken to them since we moved. That's not going to change now that I'm suddenly living next to them again." Addie sighed, closing her eyes as they pulled into the oh so familiar housing addition.

"Okay, okay. I won't ask again." Her mom sighed, giving up on trying to get Addie to talk. Addie didn't open her eyes until she felt the car jerk from it being put in park. Addie couldn't help herself when she immediately turned to the right, surprised to see the family minivan parked in the driveway.

A small part of her hoped that they had moved away, so she wouldn't have to face them after everything. Alahna lived on the other side of the triplets house, but she couldn't see that far away with it being dark outside. While Addie was too busy inspecting the car, she hadn't realized all 3 boys were currently making their way out of the front door.

Addie sighed as she opened the car door, preparing herself to step out of the car as her mom had left her minutes ago, but froze upon seeing the three teenagers making their way to the van. Addie is instantly cursing herself for not looking before opening the door because now, she was going to have to run inside to avoid some very awkward eye contact.

Addie quickly put her hood up, before bolting out of the car not even sparing one last glance to the house next door. Before she could make it inside, she could just barely hear the triplets talking.

"Am I insane or did that kinda look like Addie?" One asked, making her freeze by the front door.

"I think you're insane, Nick, Addie had blonde hair. Not to mention she probably doesn't even remember this town, or us even." Another scoffed.

"No, because I kinda agree with Nick, Chris." The last one spoke louder, snapping Addie out of the trance she was in, and walking into her house and slamming the door probably a little too hard. Addie booked it up the stairs, and again slammed her own bedroom door shut a little too hard.

Her breathing was fast, and all she could focus on was how annoyed and mad Chris had sounded at the idea of her being back. Tears began to fall as Addie sat on her bed, putting her head into hands and focusing on regulating her breathing.

Chris and Addie had been the closest out of the group before she moved. Addie had always had a small crush on him but knew that could never happen now that she was on the opposite side of the country. He treated her like a sister, and it tugged on her heart strings every time. So she lost touch. With all of them, just because she liked a boy.

And she beats herself up for it every damn day that passes. But now that she's back, all she wants to do is disappear all over again.

authors note .ᐟ

tysm for reading! i don't have a posting schedule set up yet ngl but! i promise it'll get better soon #trust <3