I'll Wait For You

"Hi Arthur..." I managed to croak out.
Seeing him reminded me of my life before. A life I was happy with. A life before Leah.

"I hope you don't mind, your Dad gave me a key", he quickly said, unsure of how I'd react to finding him in my house.

I ran into his arms. I had to make sure he knew how much I loved him. I looked into his sparkling green eyes, filled with admiration and love. I'd betrayed him and my heart couldn't take it anymore.
"I kissed somebody else", my voice faint with guilt.
"W-, How? What? When did-, Pardon?" he stuttered.
"Arthur breath please", I said, playing with his hair.
"Yeh sorry, WHAT?!" Arthur shouted, I could tell he was hurt and I'd broken him, but I wasn't going to let a kiss in the heat of the moment ruin my relationship.

I explained everything that had happened and how Leah made me feel. I also explained how it was just a crush. A confusing, messy crush. We sat in silence for a bit and let our emotions fester. I thought I'd lost him. In fact, I was sure I'd lost him.

"I love you too much to let this ruin us Ellie..." he whispered, his voice breaking slightly due to the crying.

I leaped into his arms, needing to be held. We spent the night cuddling and catching up on life recently. He explained that he had been busy with work and that's why he couldn't call me. Maybe I should've questioned more looking back, but for now, this would do.

A week later...

I had been ignoring Leah since the kiss. I had to. I had to get over these feelings I had for her.

The tension on the training pitch was palpable as the team prepared for the upcoming match against West Ham. I couldn't seem to shake off the weight of my confession to Arthur and the unexpected kiss with Leah. The once effortless friendship, or whatever it was, between us dissolved into awkward avoidance. Our standoff created an uncomfortable rift in the team. Whenever one of us would speak to Beth or Katie, the other would keep a big distance. It was killing me. As the match loomed, I had to grapple with how I felt, knowing we needed full focus to get the win.

Despite all of this though, we lit the pitch on fire against West Ham. We were in sync, dancing with the ball, and I was in the thick of it.

Viv's moves were proper magic and Kim's passes were threads of brilliance. We were playing like a team. I managed to pull off a pretty sick assist, setting up Beth's goal that got us going. But amidst the adrenaline rush, there was still the odd vibe with Leah shining through. Her piercing blue eyes, usually so determined, flickered with something else whenever our gazes crossed. It was weird, and yeah, a bit distracting, but when you're in the zone, nothing matters more than the game. A belief we both shared. The team managed to bulldoze through the off-field tension and managed to beat West Ham 4-0.

In the changing room after the victory against West Ham, I finally caught Leah's eye. I walked over, hoping to clear the air.
"Hey, Leah," I started tentatively, feeling the weight of the awkwardness between us.

"Hey," she replied, her voice guarded, blue eyes holding a mix of emotions.

"I just wanted to say..." I paused, trying to find the right words, "About everything... the kiss, the tension... you know what I'm trying to say."

Leah nodded, her expression softening slightly. "Yeah, it's been weird."

"I didn't mean for it to be," I admitted, hoping for understanding. "It's just... I choose Arthur, he's been the light in my life for so long. I've got to make that right."

Her eyes flickered briefly, an unreadable expression passing over her face. "Yeah, I get it."

The conversation lingered in the air for a moment, a silent acknowledgment hanging between us. As I turned away, heading back to my teammates, I couldn't shake the mixture of relief and lingering unease. The game might be over, but the aftermath of choices made lingered on, casting a shadow in the changing room's jubilant atmosphere.

The weeks that passed were weird. Leah and I had moments where we'd share a few words, both wanting more, but nothing really came of it.

But after a while, we'd managed to start building up our friendship that once existed. We'd obviously flirt now and again, both of us finding it hard to resist and there had been a few times where it might've gone a bit too far...

Flashbacks 1:

Leah 🤍

You coming to the dinner tonight?

Not if your going 🙄

Ouch...

Le I'm joking x

Le... it's been a while since you called me that
Would prefer if you screamed it tho 😉

Leah Williamson!!
It'd be pretty hard to scream with your thong in my mouth 🫣

Jesus christ 🫠

I'll see you at the dinner Le 😂

Think I need a cold shower...

Flashback 2:

We were in training when Beth throws water over the girls.
"WATER FIGHT!"

Leah and I seized the moment, bolting away from the changing room madness, our laughter echoing down the corridor as we escaped the water warfare. We found ourselves in a quieter spot, a hallway bathed in the soft glow of dimmed lights. There, away from prying eyes, the energy shifted, crackling between us like a secret language. In that stolen moment, the air was thick with unspoken words and lingering glances, a tension that tingled with an unexpected closeness. It was as if time slowed down, and for a heartbeat, it was just Leah and me, caught in a strangely charged atmosphere. But before anything could be said or done, the distant sound of approaching footsteps snapped us out of our trance, scattering the moment into the ether. With a shared knowing smile, we wordlessly returned to the team, the intensity of the moment left hanging in the air between us.

Flashback 3:

The party was buzzing with music and laughter, and amidst the crowd, I found myself in a hilarious conversation with Leah. Kim and Viv were cracking jokes nearby, and Beth was attempting some wild dance moves that had us all in stitches. Leah and I shared a knowing look, shaking our heads in amusement at Beth's antics.

"Can you believe her?" I chuckled, gesturing toward Beth's dance floor theatrics.

Leah grinned, eyes twinkling. "She's something else, that's for sure."

As the banter continued, the playful atmosphere wrapped around us like a comforting blanket. Amidst the laughter and camaraderie, our eyes met, and in that fleeting moment, something unspoken passed between us. It was like sharing an inside joke without saying a word. Just as I thought the night couldn't get any more entertaining, Leah leaned in close, her voice barely audible above the music. "I'll wait for you," she whispered, a hint of mischief but also a sense of understanding, in her eyes.

Her words hung in the air, leaving a tantalizing promise that lingered long after the party had ended. With a playful wink, she rejoined the group, leaving me wondering about the hidden depths beneath her mischievous smile. The night had been full of laughs, but Leah's whispered words added an unexpected twist that sparked curiosity and a touch of excitement.

Had I made the wrong decision?

----------------------------------------------------------

Helloooooo

Bit of a longer one! Do we prefer the longer chapters?

Over the next few chapters I think Ellie and Leah's 'friendship' will blossom more.

Possibly some hurt and drama coming tho...