Chapter 2

Trigger Warning: Child Abuse

The orphanage, though meticulously clean, exuded an air of formality more suited to adults than the scores of energetic children that filled its halls. Marie and John, unacquainted with the concept of a church, ventured into this new and foreign world, absorbing the unfamiliar surroundings.

"Hello, children," a gentle voice resonated through the air. John and Marie looked up to encounter a grey-haired priest wearing a warm smile.

"Hello, sir," John greeted first. "I'm John Marston, and this is my sister, Marie." Marie responded with a tentative smile.

"Welcome to your new home. Shall I show you around?" Father Parker offered. The two children nodded in agreement. "I am Father Parker." Leading them out of the entrance hall, Father Parker guided them into a spacious dining room.

"This is the dining room, where you'll enjoy three meals a day." Father Parker then steered them towards a classroom. "You'll have school every day, starting at 7 AM, and your school day will conclude around 3 PM." The tour culminated in a lush courtyard with ample shade, scattered toys, and an inviting atmosphere.

"And this is where children get to play during recess and extra breaks," Father Parker explained, completing the introduction to their new surroundings. John and Marie wore wide smiles on their faces, finally having the opportunity for a real childhood in an environment where they would be cared for. Their past in New York City, spent mostly at home taking care of each other, seemed distant.

"Wow," Marie was the first to speak.

"Yes, it's very nice, isn't it?" Father Parker asked, leaning down towards Marie. She enthusiastically nodded her head. Father Parker laughed, "Well, before I let you two run around, let me show you to your rooms." Marie and John followed along, excited to see what their sleeping quarters might look like. Father Parker pointed to a door on the right and said, "This is the boys' room, and the room on the left is the girls'. John, why don't you head in and get changed into your new uniform."

"Uniform?" John asked.

"Yes. All students are required to wear the same wardrobe to reduce distractions and really focus on our values. Understand?" Father Parker asked John.

"Yes, sir," John said. John didn't fully comprehend the need for a uniform, but he wasn't going to argue against a priest who would provide him with three square meals a day.

"Good. Now hurry off and go change." John looked to his sister with a certain hesitation; Marie still looked excited about their new surroundings. "Your sister will be fine. She will meet you outside," Father Parker promised. John nodded and ran off to the boys' dorm to claim a bed and uniform.

Once John was out of the room, Father Parker lowered himself to be on Marie's eye level. "Now Marie, I am going to show you to your room and help you with that new uniform," he promised. The seven-year-old didn't quite understand why the priest needed to help her change, sending an unsettling feeling down her spine. She chose to ignore that feeling, as Father Parker had been nothing but kind to her.

"That's okay, sir. I can dress myself," Marie asserted.

"Now Marie, don't talk back to adults or I'll have to punish you."

"Punish?" Marie asked, her voice laced with fear.

"Yes, Marie. Bad students get paddled, spanked, or lashed. It's for your benefit so you can grow into a proper young woman of God," Father Parker told her. "Now, do you want to be bad or good?"

Marie, recalling the times her own father had disciplined her, nodded, "I'll be good, sir."

"Good girl. Now let's get your uniform on." Father Parker grabbed Marie's hand with a grin and led her into the girls' dormitory.