Chapter 5

After several days of rest, Marie found herself fully recovered, and a profound sense of gratitude filled her for the women of the camp, particularly Annabelle and Bessie, whose care had played a crucial role in her recovery.

With the first rays of the morning light, Marie uncoiled her limbs in a languid stretch before deciding it was time to emerge from the confines of her tent. The camp sprawled before her, and she took in the bustling scene with a newfound appreciation. Dutch and Hosea engaged in quiet conversation at the heart of the camp, an unfamiliar figure toiled in the kitchen area, while Susan, Annabelle, and Bessie gathered together, diligently washing and mending clothes. Her gaze eventually alighted on her brother, John, who, with a genuine smile, tended to the horses as he noticed her standing outside her tent for the first time in days. A reciprocal smile passed between them before John returned to his duties.

Observing the semblance of normalcy that enveloped the camp, Marie couldn't help but feel conflicted. These were outlaws, individuals who had broken laws and lived on the fringes of society, yet in this environment, it felt like a family. The warmth, camaraderie, and the shared sense of purpose seemed to defy the harsh realities they faced. However, Marie's past experiences, marred by a cruel father and the unforgiving environment of an orphanage, lingered in her thoughts, casting a shadow of doubt on the idyllic scene before her. As she pondered, the adage resonated: even the prettiest paintings can hide the ugliest truths.

Interrupted by the rhythmic thud of an axe striking wood, Marie's thoughts were thrust back to the present. The sudden noise caused her to jump, and she turned to find Arthur wiping sweat off his brow with strong forearms, the sound of the axe a stark contrast to the tranquility of the morning. Marie, captivated by his physicality and the rough exterior that adorned him, found herself lost in thought, wondering about sensations she had never considered before.

"Mornin' Miss. Marston," Arthur's greeting startled her back to reality. Marie, fearing she had been caught staring, felt a blush creep onto her cheeks. Swiftly, she shook off the feeling.

"Mornin'," she replied, trying to compose herself.

"How ya feelin'?" Arthur asked, swinging the axe down to chop the next piece of firewood.

"Much better. Thank you," Marie responded. Arthur nodded and offered her a small smile. After a pregnant pause, Marie decided to break the silence.

"Is there any work for me?" she inquired.

"Sure, there's always work 'round here," Arthur assured her. Setting the axe down, he picked up the firewood and began to walk towards the main campfire. Marie quickly followed.

"Like what?" she asked, a curiosity in her eyes.

"Ask Miss Grimshaw. She can get ya work," Arthur suggested, nodding towards the trio of women gathered around the men's clothes. "She kinda keeps things runnin' 'round here, but don't tell Dutch I said that." Arthur chuckled, sending a playful wink to the young girl. Marie chuckled along with him.

"Okay. See ya 'round," she said before walking towards the women seated in a circle.

"Bye, Miss Marston," Arthur called out. Despite Marie's indifference to her last name, hearing it from Arthur's mouth elicited a different response. A subtle flush colored her cheeks.

"Miss Marston!" Annabelle's joyful cry reached Marie, who was welcomed with open arms. Setting her laundry down, Annabelle offered a hug. "How 'ya feelin'? If you need another day of rest, that's fine."

"I feel much better, actually," Marie assured her. Annabelle, the youngest of the three women, radiated warmth with her tall frame, curves, and bright blue eyes. Susan, slightly older and exuding sternness, possessed dark brown hair and a gaze that hinted at a no-nonsense attitude. Lastly, Bessie, had a kind demeanor that resonated through her blonde hair and brown eyes.