Chapter 7

The ride back to camp was somewhat awkward. With shaky hands, Marie guided her horse through the uneven terrain, following Hosea and Bessie, while Arthur and Davy brought up the rear. Dust kicked up beneath their horses' hooves, creating a hazy trail in the warm afternoon sun. A breath of relief escaped Marie once she felt the cool embrace of the camp's towering pine trees offering her respite from the glaring sun.

"Who goes there?" John Marston's voice echoed through the forest. Marie couldn't see her brother, but she knew he lurked amongst the trees, gripping his Lancaster Repeater.

"It's Hosea, Bessie, Arthur, and Marie," Hosea called out. "We have brought some, uh, company too," he announced. John approached the horses with a wide smile, welcoming his family back. However, the smile faded as his eyes fell upon Mac holding a revolver to his sister's back, prompting him to raise the repeater, replacing joy with anger.

"I'd put the gun down, partner," Mac smugly told him.

"I will once you do," John retorted, not bothering to lower his gun.

Mac shifted his green eyes from John to Marie. "Is he your boyfriend or somethin'?" he asked her.

Marie shook her head, no.

"I'm her brother," John declared. "Lower the gun!" he demanded.

"Now, John, is this any way to treat our guests?" Hosea offered, trying to be the voice of reason between the two hot-headed outlaws. "They're here, like us, to survive." John scoffed at this. "Can you get Dutch, John?" John hesitated, not wanting to leave his sister with the gunman, but he nodded, leaving the group behind. The group started to dismount from their horses. Mac kept his gun trained on Marie but extended his other hand to her. She hesitantly took it in her own as she descended. Similar to Arthur's hands, Mac's were larger than hers and calloused from years of hard work.

"Who are our guests?" Dutch inquired of Hosea as he approached the group.

"Dutch, these are Mac and Davy. They caught us off-guard," Hosea began, "I told them we could help them with food and money but thought they should meet you first."

"Of course, of course," Dutch started, "Well, gentlemen, welcome to our home. Come, let's talk in my tent." Dutch gestured with his arms in the direction.

"Hold on!" Davy exclaimed, "We ain't here to talk; we're here for food and money."

"We will get you on those things. You have my word, but, before we delve into matters of sustenance and support, let's share a moment in my tent. There's power in understanding one another, though, so please indulge me since you will be robbin' us blind." The two brothers exchanged a silent glance, and reluctantly, Davy nodded. He would hear Dutch out. Mac followed in agreement.

With the force of the gun digging into her back, Marie was forced to step forward and follow Dutch to his tent.

"My friend," Dutch said, looking at Mac, "Why don't you remove that gun from Miss Marie's back? She has some chores she needs to get to. Plus, our business conversations aren't suited for the fairer sex. If it makes you feel better, you can keep your gun pointed at me and Hosea."

Mac looked to his older brother for guidance. Davy nodded, and the two of them shifted their guns from Marie to Dutch and Hosea.

"Lovely to meet you, Marie," Mac smirked, "Hope we can do it again sometime." He winked. Marie rolled her eyes and wiped furiously at the dried tears on her cheek. Marie left Dutch's tent to tend to the laundry.

"Marie! Are you okay?" John asked, running over to his sister. Arthur followed shortly.

"I'm fine," Marie asserted. She didn't quite believe it herself, but she didn't need John and Arthur worrying about her.