Chapter 4

The horses, their hooves pounding against the ground, hastened their return to the Van Der Linde's Gang hideout. Marie clung tightly to Arthur, her apprehension growing with each passing moment. The fear that this might be a mistake, that these men could inflict the same pain Father Parker did, gripped her. Her gaze shifted to John, resolute as he focused on the snowy path ahead.

As they veered off the main trail, the scent of pine and the sight of snow-draped trees surrounded them in a serene dance.

"Who's there?" A woman's voice echoed, jolting Marie. The sound was a balm to her unease.

"It's Arthur, Dutch, and Hosea. We have some friends too," Arthur's voice rang out.

"Welcome back! Which orphans did you grab now, Dutch?" The woman's banter held a welcoming tone. The horses reached a hitching post, revealing a woman in her mid-thirties. Her dark brown hair, tied in a messy bun, framed a face with cold brown eyes.

"Susan, it's good to hear your voice," Dutch greeted, dismounting and helping John. "You know we help folks that need helpin'." John hurried to assist Arthur with Marie. "Susan, this is John and Marie Marston. Marie is ill and needs some medicine," Dutch explained.

"Oh, dear!" Susan exclaimed. "You poor thing. Lucky for you, we just restocked our medicine." She turned away, calling for assistance. "Annabelle! Bessie! We need some help!"

Two women approached. One, in her late teens or early twenties, possessed striking beauty with flowing blonde hair, freckles, and bright blue eyes. The other, closer to Susan's age, had shoulder-length blonde hair and brown eyes that exuded kindness.

"This is Marie, and she's sick," Dutch continued. "Please help her get comfortable and get her some medicine."

"Boys, let's set up that extra tent for Marie while Annabelle and Bessie help her," Susan ordered. "Arthur, do you mind sharing a tent with John? Just for a little while."

"No, ma'am," Arthur replied. "Let's set up Marie's tent first, then I'll show you where you'll be sleeping," he told John with a clap on his back.

Marie was led away by Annabelle and Bessie towards a wagon.

"You poor thing!" Annabelle consoled. "We'll get you right as rain soon! I'm Annabelle, by the way!"

"And I'm Bessie," the other said.

"Marie," she offered with a cough.

"Oh, sweetheart, save your voice," Bessie told her. Once they reached the wagon, they told Marie to sit. Annabelle brought extra blankets to bundle Marie, while Bessie scanned their supplies for the needed vials.

"Now, these don't taste good, but they'll help," Bessie said, handing her a vial. Marie took it with shaky hands and eyed it suspiciously. "Oh, sweetheart, I promise we aren't gonna hurt you," Bessie reassured. Marie nodded hesitantly, raising the vial to her lips and swallowing it in one gulp. As soon as the vial left her lips, she grimaced.

"Yuck!" Marie exclaimed, followed by a coughing fit.

"I know, I'm sorry, sweetheart, but you'll feel better soon," Bessie told her, taking the empty vial from her hands.

"Your tent is all set up, darling," Annabelle told her with several extra blankets. "Now, I want you to stay in there and stay warm. If you need something, please wake up me or Bessie. I'm in that large white tent in the center over there," she said, pointing. Marie nodded. "And Bessie is in that grey tent in the back corner." Annabelle once again pointed out the tent, and Marie nodded.

"Let's get you to bed, honey," Bessie said, gently gripping her arm to lead her to the small beige tent that had just been set up. Marie looked up at John, who seemed about to say something. "Now, John, your sister needs all the rest she can get. I promise you can talk to her tomorrow, okay?"