Chapter 5

Sam yawned, watching TV. 

Bucky folded his washing.

Steve drew in his art book. 

An ordinary day for the trio. 

It had been two weeks since their little outing with Natasha. Two unusually quiet weeks. 

Besides the fact they hadn't seen Natasha since then, even though Bucky found it suspicious, everything was fine. 

They ignored the fact Bucky always wore long sleeved shirts and gloves. That Sam went home sometimes, though Bucky and Steve remained. In their house. Where only they lived. 

So, basically, Natasha wasn't the only one keeping secrets. Even if they didn't know that. Even if Bucky suspected it. 

While the other two ate, Bucky snuck out of the house. He didn't know why, nor did he know where he was going. Steve was going to be furious; he knew. But Bucky didn't care. It wasn't the first time he had snuck out. 

Sometime during his little outing, his feet had brought him to the theatre. He slipped past the guard and walked in.

"Bucky?" a voice asked, incredulously.

He turned around to see an exhausted Natasha, wearing a leotard and her ballet slippers. 

"Yep," he replied. 

She cocked her head and looked at him. Bucky got the same feeling he did the first time they had met. 

"What are you doing here?" Natasha asked calmly. 

He paused. "I don't know," he replied simply. 

"Well," she said, stifling a yawn, "are you coming or not?"

***

Natasha had her feet in a bucket full of water and she looked like she was ready to drop. Yet, while she talked to Bucky, she acted like she was feeling fine. 

"Are you OK?" Bucky asked Natasha suddenly. She certainly didn't look ok. 

She looked at him in surprise. "Uh, yeah. Just tired," she said, seeming very uncertain. 

Bucky gave her a questioning look and she elaborated. "I had three performances today. Three hours long. Plus, the rehearsals as well." 

His mouth opened in surprise. "You've been moving around constantly, for over nine hours!"

She shrugged. "Are you hungry?" 

Bucky frowned. He did not enjoy her switching the topic, but he left it. "Very," he said with a grin. 

Natasha was gratefully eating a Caesar salad and a fried fish meal, while Bucky had a slice of cake and Lasagna. He was surprised, he thought Natasha would eat more. She must have been starving, though Bucky sensed she was used to going nonstop. 

They ate in peaceful silence, occasionally exchanging friendly banter. Natasha splashed some water on him. 

"Hey," he exclaimed, laughing. 

She grinned and Bucky thought she looked quite . . . pretty. He wouldn't admit this though. 

"Well," Natasha began, "I think you deserved it." 

"Why!"

She grinned again. "No idea."

He rolled her eyes, making a face. She mimicked him. An hour later, Natasha was showing him one of the unused theatres. She played with the riggings, making the spotlight chase him. 

It was clear Natasha had practically grown up in theaters and he made a mental note to make sure she had fun outside Ballet.  

"Americans are weird," Natasha laughed. 

Bucky stared at her. "Um?"

Her eyes widened. "Oops. Forgot you don't know Russian. Sorry," she said apologetically. 

But the odd thing was, Bucky had understood...

"I, I have to go," he stammered nervously. 

She regarded him. "I'll walk you home. I'll meet you at the exit, OK?"

He nodded numbly and set out for the exit. Not even five minutes later, she was there, wearing leggings and a t-shirt. She pulled on her long, leather jacket from two weeks ago and followed him out. 

"Are you OK?"

Natasha looked at him, concerned. She had opened herself up today and Bucky trusted her. 

"I don't know. I mean, I'm an 'American' after all."

She laughed, not realising he said American, 'closing' herself up once more, going back to her hard, but fun exterior. She smiled, a rare friendly smile. Bucky knew she just needed to trust them, before they all saw the kind, happy Natasha he had seen today. 

Though her normal attitude wasn't bad -just a little isolated and a confidence that could be fake- he had seen the real her. 

Natasha smiled once more. They paused at his door. "Say hi to Steve and Sam for me, will you?"

He rolled his eyes. "You can. Besides, if you're there, Steve can't be too mad at me."

She nervously walked in. 

"Natasha!"

She smiled. And for the first time in a long time, she felt at home.