Chapter 10

Samuel didn't want to tell his niece the truth, but at a certain point, once Charlotte became too worried, he knew he had to. He told her what he had discovered in his letter from James.

Everything was gone.

Samuel knew that his brother was always in debt, but he never dreamed it would get this bad. It was because of his brother's primary vice: gambling. James did well to hide it as it would otherwise take away from his perfectionist image.

Even when James lost, he didn't worry, because he knew the work at his law firm would keep the money coming in. But then the business slowed, and the gambling sped up.

"It can't all be gone," Charlotte said in a horrified whisper.

"It is," Samuel replied gravely. From his pocket, he produced a $10 note. "This is what he sent with the letter. Just about the last of his fortune. The house is gone, the furniture... everything."

Samuel could hardly stand to look at his niece once tears started filling her eyes. "But that's our home. It's always been our home. I lived there with Mother. Father keeps her chair by the fireplace. It can't be gone. I refuse to believe it."

Samuel hugged her, and her body shook with fear. "I managed to get a job at the mill not long ago," he said. "That's where I've been goin' in the mornings, to make sure we have the cash to... live comfortably. That $10 note helps, but it won't last us forever."

"Father told me that I could return at autumn's end," she sobbed. "He said so in my letter. How could I return if there's nothing to return to? Why would he lie to me?"

"Your father's hard to understand sometimes, Charlie," he said, trying to keep the anger for his brother out of his voice.

"He must have used my money, too," she said, sitting down. "He always managed the money I made from my concerts. He must have wasted it all."

Samuel said nothing, a bitter taste in his mouth.

"Where will Father go?" she asked. A part of her wanted him to come here, to Walnut Grove. Despite everything, despite her anger and misery, she wanted to see him.

"He told me he'd be headin' over to Chicago. Has some friends over there, I suppose. He thinks he can get back on his feet, get enough cash to buy the house back."

Her crestfallen expression was obvious. "Do... you think it might work? That he could get the house back?"

"I suppose so," he replied, though, in truth, he didn't believe it for a moment. But he knew telling Charlotte so would crush her. That house in Minneapolis had been her whole life. It used to be beautiful many years ago, when Charlotte's mother had been alive. But after her passing, James let the house grow dusty and cold.

They only had the cabin now, likely because James's creditors didn't know it existed. There was no money for Charlotte to fall back on either. If anything happened to Samuel or James, she would be on the street. She had no one else. The thought of that, considering how fragile she was, made Samuel feel sicker than he'd ever felt in his life.

He got a job at the mill right after he got that letter, ensuring that there was a stream of money coming from somewhere, though the mill hardly paid anything.

Still, he tried to make light of the situation. "Well, it won't be so different for us here. We just got to be a bit more frugal. Just the essentials."

He fought the lump in his throat as he spoke. Though Charlotte's father hadn't been rich, he always had enough money to buy her a nice dress or coat. And the food they ate was good and plentiful.