Chapter 14

Charlotte's heart fluttered like a frightened bird in her chest as she got ready for the festival. She wore her dark blue dress with black trim and fixed her hair so it rested high on her head except for her curled, wispy bangs. She couldn't believe she had agreed to go.

She supposed she had become somewhat acclimated to socializing again, though not entirely. If it was up to her, she would have stayed inside, but her uncle wouldn't have it. He knew it was the perfect occasion to get her out and about.

Her palms sweated and her whole body shivered. She hated that she didn't know what to expect. She knew there would be music and food, but once it came down to interacting with people, it all got so complicated. She hoped no one would notice her once she arrived. That was the best thing she could ask for.

She knew Mr. Oleson would be there. She wanted to see him. And yet, another part of her wanted to avoid him. She felt so guilty for liking him, yet being around him made her feel alive and well.

When she and her uncle rode into town at sundown, they could hear the festival before they even saw it. People laughing and whooping, children running through the dusty streets in their nice clothes, someone distantly playing a piano. Once they arrived in the heart of town, they found the main street packed, everyone surrounding Nellie's restaurant where most of the entertainment was.

Because the restaurant wasn't very large, there were long tables set up outside filled with all kinds of food that different people had brought. From pot roast and whole chicken to fruit tarts and huge bowls of buttered squash and punch, it was a kind of buffet Charlotte had never seen before. She had seen many a feast, but not one that could feed a whole town.

Nellie's restaurant had all its lamps lit, shining golden light into the street, while most of the other buildings in town were dark. Everyone in town, young and old, was there smiling, dancing, and laughing. Inside, the tables had been removed and the chairs had been moved to the corners, most of which were occupied by children watching their parents dance.

A small piano on wheels had been moved into the restaurant, and to accompany its tune was a fiddler. The whole place was decorated with colorful ribbons made of paper and string. "Ain't this a fine sight?" Samuel said, smiling over the scene.

She had to admit that it was all very charming. All the festivities she had ever been to had been very formal and strict, and though there had also been dancing and music, it somehow didn't seem as enjoyable as this more humble environment. The people here seemed much happier, perhaps because they were more focused on being themselves than on being perfect.

They went into Nellie's restaurant which was packed with dancing couples. "Might as well find something to eat," Samuel said, hanging his hat at the entrance. He coughed a few times, finding relief once he located the punch bowl and swiftly drank two glasses.

Charlotte stayed very close to him, clutching his arm, as if she would get lost in the sea of people. She wasn't very hungry, but decided to eat a few cherry tarts, which were really very delicious. Despite that, she wasn't able to focus much on the taste due to her nerves.

They sat down on a couple of wooden chairs in a corner, watching the sway of many couples brush by them as they munched on biscuits, small slices of pot-pie, and hot corn bread. Charlotte felt safe in the corner with her uncle, as she felt that no one could see her.

She could pick out a few faces in the crowd. There was Caroline Ingalls who was smiling and dancing with a strong-looking man with curly, dark hair. "That's Charles," Samuel muttered to her, tapping his foot to the tune of the fiddle and piano. "I've been working with him at the mill. Real nice fella. Pretty sure those are his kids over there."