Chapter 30

In the light of the morning, Charlotte stared at her father sitting on the other side of the dining table as she ate eggs and a slab of bacon. He ate his own breakfast quite quietly, the morning light reflecting off his neatly combed tawny brown hair streaked with gray. He wore one of his usual fine suits with a silk tie, though his clothes were slightly wrinkled.

His presence brought to light confusion and despair in Charlotte. She was delighted to see him after so many months of being apart, but she also was full of spite. After losing everything, the house, her mother's pearls, he sat there at the table as if nothing was wrong. Samuel was just as on edge as Charlotte, if not more, at his brother's presence, though he acted calm nonetheless.

James explained his presence: an investment went his way and he managed to gather some money again, and he believed that the same investment would continue working in his favor. His hope was that he would soon have enough money to bring Charlotte back to the city, and he figured that he might as well spend some time with them in Walnut Grove while he waited. He spoke with extreme confidence, as he often did, as if it was impossible for him to lose the game of life, although he already had several times.

"It's nice to visit this cabin again after so many years," said her father, gazing over the cabin's warm wooden interior with gray eyes like Charlotte's. He was a clean shaven man with an angular nose and thick neck that was constantly wrapped in a white pressed collar. Charlotte noted that he still had a fine pair of onyx cufflinks on, which angered her. He'd sell Mother's pearls, but not his cufflinks.

"While Walnut Grove is a fine place, I'm sure you're looking forward to going back to the city, Charlotte," he continued, sipping a steaming cup of tea. "The fresh air has obviously done you plenty of good. Once I get the money we need, we'll get another house in Minneapolis and things can go back to the way they were, hm? It shouldn't be too hard to get you back into the rhythm of concerts and performances. Your name will return to the posters outside of theaters where it ought to be; it'll be a delight."

James clasped his hands together, excited by his own imagination. "And, Charlie, if all goes well, I believe I found you the perfect suitor. Before my law practice went under, I encountered this wonderful young lawyer. His family comes from money and he has a fine disposition. We'll all have to have dinner sometime. I think he would make a very fine husband for you."

Charlotte forced a smile. She couldn't say anything. She didn't know why. She felt as if her vocal cords had been removed now that her father was here. It felt like everything was different now, from the cabin to the prairie to all of Walnut Grove. Everything felt... colder.

Samuel didn't have much to say either. Occasionally, he would glance to Charlotte as if waiting for her to say something in response, but she rarely did.

"I'm... glad that you're in such a positive mood about all this, Father," she said eventually.

"Indeed," he replied enthusiastically, wiping his hands on his handkerchief after he finished eating. His hands were surprisingly well-manicured for all the hardship he claimed to have gone through. "So, what have you been up to during all your time here?"

Charlotte spoke slowly as her whole mouth tasted bitter as she spoke to him. She kept thinking about their home, the pearls.... "I've made a few friends here. And for some time, I taught the piano. I still do, on occasion, but now I work at the mercantile."

"The mercantile?" James scoffed. "Why, I never imagined you'd pick up a lowly job like that."

"You didn't give her much of a choice," Samuel murmured, giving his brother a brief, toxic glare as he ate some hot oats and bacon.