Chapter 22

One day, Nels Oleson asked Charlotte Richmond if she could work at the mercantile, and she said yes.

It took Nels three weeks to come up with such a decision, primarily because it had not occurred to him earlier. And once it had occurred to him, he fought it, unsure if it was a good idea.

But the truth was, while he could manage the mercantile by himself, it was extremely difficult. He had to wait for the shipments to come in while customers wandered around the store wanting to buy things. He had to stock all the shelves while adding up the numbers on the orders of a dozen people. He had to keep stock of everything that came in and everything that sold. Organizing, figuring, locating lost items, calculating how much the mercantile made every month....

By the end of each day, he was so exhausted he could barely read the paper or have time to eat a proper meal. For the first time in his life, he even burned dinner and didn't have much to eat besides some overcooked vegetables because he was so busy. It was perhaps at that point that he realized he needed help, and he put the old, dusty 'HELP WANTED' sign out in the window. He let a few days pass, and no one came in to inquire about a job.

He supposed he wasn't surprised, since Walnut Grove was full of farmers. Hardworking people, but not the sort that could handle mercantile work. Harriet had always done a fine job of keeping the store in good shape, of making a profit. Nels could admit that she was a good businesswoman, mainly due to her cold and persistent nature. He believed he was a good businessman too, but he couldn't tackle everything.

At a certain point, it was clear that no one in town was going to come in for the job. And it was also at that point he realized that Charlotte Richmond may be the best choice. She had been educated in the city, and she was sharp. She might not know a thing about running a mercantile, but Nels bet she could learn fast.

Her health had improved drastically over the weeks, and Doc Baker even removed her cast. Nels hadn't seen her in all that time, however. Her presence in town became almost non-existent ever since she moved back into her uncle's cabin. He hoped that he would see her come into the mercantile with her uncle once or twice a week, but she didn't.

Nels asked Samuel once he came into the store how she was, and he replied that while she was well enough to resume teaching the piano at the Wilder's place, but had been extremely melancholy ever since she read that letter from her father, not to mention she felt foolish for her outburst with the tonic and preferred not to see most people.

Nels knew he didn't understand the full issues she had with her father and whatever he was doing, but he hated to think that Charlotte was locked up in her cabin again, too miserable to leave except to see Miss Wilder twice a week. So, he suggested his idea to Samuel, which intrigued the old man.

"I believe she's in good enough shape for it," Samuel replied. "But I don't know if she'll agree. Dealin' with folks all day used to be easier for her, but these days...."

"Well, you have to admit she's more talkative than how she was when you two first arrived here," said Nels.

"Suppose so," Samuel muttered, rubbing his chin. "And she ain't bad at figures."

"Mention it to her," Nels asked. "I think some work would help distract her from her moods... and Lord knows I need the help."

Samuel huffed, amused. "You have been lookin' a little frazzled lately, friend. All right. I'll ask her, see what she says, but I can't make no promises."

It was only a day later when Samuel returned to him with the good news that she had accepted. "She'll start whenever you need her," said Samuel."

"Tomorrow," Nels expressed, relieved. "Tomorrow morning at 7:00."