Chapter 13

"Well, Miss Richmond, this is the most colorful I've seen you yet," said Doctor Baker, looking closely at her. "Though you're not quite rosy in the cheeks, you're on the right track. It looks like you might have put on a few pounds as well. I figured the iron would help."

Charlotte smiled, pleased with his words. She sat with her uncle in the doctor's office, very quiet except for the sound of passing wagons outside. A square of sun shined through the windows, illuminating the dust in the air. "I am feeling a bit better," Charlotte agreed. "I'm able to ascend and descend stairs without feeling too breathless now. It might not sound like much, but it's important to me."

"Oh, I don't doubt it," replied the doctor, adjusting his spectacles. "Have you noticed any other improvements?"

"I don't feel so tired all the time. I still grow exhausted easily, but not like before."

"Good." The doctor grabbed a stethoscope and listened to her heart. His optimistic expression became more serious after a few moments of listening. "The sound of your heart is still somewhat abnormal."

"What does that mean?" she asked, her good mood halting.

"Well... I've come across many people whose hearts sounded similar to yours, and they lived to be far older than me. But I must tell you that your heart is, in a sense, weaker than most. It hasn't changed much with your treatment, and I expect that it will remain how it is for the rest of your life."

"There isn't anything you can do?" Charlotte asked, feeling increasingly nervous.

He grabbed her hand comfortingly. "No, not in the traditional medical sense. But I can recommend that you continue as you have and lead a very relaxed life. It would be best to keep your stress levels as low as possible."

"Am I... in any immediate danger?"

"No, no. It's a good thing we caught it early. Now you know not to get yourself too worked up."

"But there must be consequences. What dangers are there?"

The doctor hesitated. "Now, Miss Richmond, there's no need to worry about any dangers right now, young as you are. Maybe when you're older, but not now. You seem to be feeling better, and you should take advantage of that, don't you think? In the meantime, let's keep you on the iron supplements for another month to make sure you don't lose your progress. You might get stronger yet."

Once they left the doctor's office, Charlotte and Samuel climbed onto their buckboard, and Charlotte sat pondering. "Now, don't you start," said Samuel, putting on his wide-brimmed hat.

"What?"

"I know that look. You're worryin' already just when the doc said not to."

"It's impossible not to worry when I know there's something wrong with my heart."

Samuel coughed a few times on the dust in the air. "Doc Baker said that there are people out there that live to a ripe old age with whatever condition you have. That's all that matters, right?"

Charlotte hesitated, wringing her gloved hands. Now that it was autumn, the temperature had taken a sudden drop. It was not terribly cold, but there was a persistent chill in the air. "I just wonder if my heart was normal, I would be normal too. Perhaps I would feel well all the time, as everyone else does."

"Well, I don't know about that, but there's no point in worryin' about what you can't help. You admitted yourself that you've been feelin' better. Hold onto that and enjoy life a little. Hell, when I was your age, I was racin' horses with my old pals and takin' back so much whisky, I'd wake up in places I'd never seen before.... Not that I recommend that for you, of course. As the doc said, keep things gentle, but that doesn't mean your life has to be dull."