III

Y/N's POV

It wasn't long before we arrived at the beach. Apparently, on the way, Mai told me she contacted her manager to speak with her here. Currently, I was a bit nervous while Mai seemed more calm. As to why she's so calm, I don't know.

"Your mother, are you sure this is a good idea?" I asked. 

"Yes. I'm very sure. Speaking of, there she is." I see a gray car parked and exited a woman very similar to Mai. No doubt it was her mother who was walking down the stairs as we spoke. Mai approached her mother not saying a word. She stopped in front of her, but she ignored her completely and instead walked towards...

Me.

"You also..." My words were stuck in my throat. Mai even had a face of complete shock seeing her own mother walk past her as if she were a stranger. 

"Were you the one that called me out here? Who are you? What do you want?" She meant business. But there wasn't any. Surely not, right?

"I'm Y/N L/N. Mai's junior from our school." I said. 

"Who?" ...

"Mai Sakurajima. Your daughter." 

~~~

We spent hours looking for anyone to remember Mai. However, there were only sad and disappointing results. No one remembered her at all. How could this happen so quickly? Did everyone simply just forget overnight who she is? I kept looking for anyone who remembered, but no luck. I turn to Mai and I only see her in deep thought. I just can't help but feel terrible about this. 

No one deserves this.

"Y/N, thank you for today. I'll take my leave." Immediately knowing she's upset, I grab her hand desperately. "Please let me go." Mai's voice was painful. 

"I'm sorry, but I can't. Listen, we could go to another city and we can find people that might recognize you. I know this is difficult, but we have to try." I said, trying to convince her. 

"And then what? How will it make it better knowing that only you can see me? When everyone can't?!" Mai's voice was quickly rising.

"I understand, but please, at least I'll be by your side, the entire time. Let me help you out like I have been. I don't want you to feel lonely..."

I don't want to leave you.

"For a junior, you sure are a sweet boy, you know?" Mai turns around to face me with a slight smile. I pull her closer. 

"I try. C'mon. Let's go." We both head over to train and board it to the next city. We take our seats next to each other. My eyes started feeling slightly heavy as the train started to move. Mai noticed this and gently grabbed my hand. 

"Are you tired?" She asked, looking at my tired face. 

"No, I'm alright. I'm just a bit heavy." I said.

"We can buy an energy drink when we get to the next city. I'm sure there should be some gas stations available." She suggests. 

"I think I'll take that suggestion." 

~~~

"So, do you have an idea where this train is headed?" I said.

"Okagi. It's the second most populated city in Gifu Prefecture, after Gifu City." She replied, showing me her phone. 

"Huh. Neat." I said. We sat in silence as the train continued its path towards Okagi. In all honesty, I was growing sleepy, but I kept forcing myself to keep away. I slowly pinched myself only increasing the pain. Mai looked over at me but I stopped just in time. She put her phone down before looking out the window, seemingly lost staring at the moon.