eight.

The time had come, and the team in gold and green were prepared to face against the determined side of the Irish.

Sam had been offically ruled out of the match, and no one was sure when she would be able to return to the field. It pained her, everyone knew it. But she stayed supportive with every chance she got.

In saying that, she invited the group into a huddle in the middle of their change rooms. To say her final words before they were to step onto the pitch.

"This is what we have been preparing ourselves for. Every match leading up to this one, this is our time to shine. This is our World Cup, I know it." Sam cheered

"We're not just the Australian girls football team anymore, we're the Matildas and we were born to make history." Steph continued the speech, the two captains turning their heads to the third in charge. Aurelia widened her eyes.

Aurelia looked around at the faces around her "let's play, and win thinking of all the fans out there, of all the girls that couldn't make this World Cup, because they were injured, or because they retired. Let's make them proud, we aren't just anyone anymore. We're the Australian Matildas."

"Yes" Ellie screamed "when I say Aussie you say Tillies! Aussie."

"Tillies"

"Aussie"

"Tillies!"

The girls in the room let out loud screams, bidding their goodbyes to the benched player. The starting eleven went to meet their mascots outside. Rory felt her arm being tugged back by Sam. Enveloping the younger girl in a hug.

"Samantha. You're suffocating me."

Sam shrugged "sucks to be you, then."

Rory rolled her eyes, forgetting Sam couldn't see them. "Why are you being clingy."

Sam shrugged again.

"That's not a verble response" Aurelia gritted through her teeth "Samantha you're gonna kill me."

Sam rolled her eyes, pushing the girl away "you're so dramatic."

"You're so dramatic" Aurelia mimicked

"Shut up"

"Shut up"

────────────────────────────────

So far, they had been given nothing. They had been given mulitple opportunities to raise themselves a goal ahead of the Ireland team, but all chances had failed. Leaving them 0-0 at half time.

In front of a crowd of seventy-nine thousand people, the two teams were neck and neck during the first match of the World Cup. People were starting to bite their nails, Nonone knew the way the game would end. They were left on the edge of their seats.

The second half had started quicker than the first had ended. Even twenty minutes into the half, both sides came back with nothing. The Matildas were on the higher end of the stick, having multiple more chances than Ireland, yet everyone on the team wished one would go in. The way they played shaped what the team was like when it was missing it's key players. Many players had retired before the World Cup, Sam was out with an injury, and Tony wasn't making the effort to sub on more experienced players.

Aurelia, halfway down the field, caught the ball given from Alanna. The girl continued to swiftly run down the field, an Irish player, Ruesha Littlejohn, running behind her quickly.