𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗧𝗪𝗢

CHAPTER TWO written by janie

CHAPTER TWO
written by janie

"Goooooood morning Winfield High School." The principal's voice rang across the loudspeakers in every classroom. "I hope you are all thrilled to celebrate your second day of school. Just a reminder that tryouts for the following sports are next week: Cross Country, Tennis, and Volleyball. I hope you all have an amazing day."

"It's almost like he gives a shit about us." Evelyn whispered to her childhood friend, Wade. The usually distant girl had a small smile on her face as he chucked slightly at her comment.

"I bet he found that whole speech on the internet too." He joked back, running a hand through his brown hair. "I'm shocked he hasn't quit with how much hell we put him through."

"Nobody would do shit to him if he was a nice guy." Her eyebrows furrowed. "Remember that one time he gave you detention for a month just for talking back to him?"

"Yeah." Wade laughed dryly. "He's got his attitude problems, but nobody here can put him in his place."

Evelyn gave him a small smile and shrugged, her face soon falling into a scowl when another girl slid into the seat next to her. Almost sensing the tough atmosphere, the younger girl stood up and rushed to find another seat.

"You've got to be nicer to people, Eve." Wade commented, glancing over at her. "It's your senior year. Nothing bad is gonna happen to you if you let loose."

Evelyn looked up at him with a look that Wade knew all too well. Her eyebrows furrowed and she immediately turned her body away from him, furiously taking notes in her notebook.

"I'm sorry, Eve." Wade sighed in defeat, letting his shoulders drop. "It's just so hard to watch one of my closest friends isolate herself from people who love her."

"Well isn't that nice for you." She shrugged back, a clear tone in her voice that indicated to him that she wanted the conversation to be dropped.

They sat in silence for the rest of the class, both taking notes that they would clearly share with each other the next day.

— — —

"I love you so much right now!" Cora squealed, wrapping her arms around Hunter's neck, who jolted back in surprise. She had lost her money and had no way to pay for her lunch. Usually, she would just end up waiting until after school to eat, but Hunter volunteered to give her some of his money.

He chuckled nervously and hugged her back. He never truly knew what to do when his friends hugged him and stuff, because he was usually too high to care. "It's really no problem-"

"No! I mean it, Hunter! You're amazing!" Cora hugged him tighter for a second before she let her friend go. "You really just made my day."

Hunter shrugged, trying to show her how unimportant it was to him. "It's fine, Cora, It really is. Honestly it's nothing."