𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗙𝗜𝗩𝗘

CHAPTER FIVEwritten by janie and ashethe auditions

CHAPTER FIVE
written by janie and ashe
the auditions

The clock ticked in a miserably slow manner as Mr. Potter read a page of their book, The Scarlet Letter, aloud to the class. He was well aware of his students' lack of attention, and made up for it by slamming the book shut, setting it onto his desk with a broad grin. "Mrs. Armisted." He called out, watching as the brunette's head shot up from where it was laying on the desk. "What does the rose bush mean?"

"The rose bush?" Cora asked, her eyes blinking towards him as she fought to remember what the rose bush even was. She had done the reading the night before, carefully analyzing every detail as she always did the first week of school, before theatre gets ahead of her, because then she will turn to spark notes.

"In chapter one." He hinted, leaning against his chair. As though he could sense the panic settling into his brain, he clasped his hands together. "Does anyone know what the rose bush means?"

The class sat silently, each student choosing to glance in any other direction than at their teacher.

"Hope." Mr. Potter finally explained, sitting up. "It's a symbol of hope. And speaking of hope—" His eyes met the eyes of Cora, "Good luck on your auditions today." He shot her a smile and went back to his book.

Wade glanced over at the brunette sitting next to him who had a smile plastered across her face, taking note of the anxiety that had appeared in her eyes. He bumped his shoulder against hers. "You're gonna do great." He smiled.

She let her head slump back onto the desk. "No I'm not." She whispered, mainly to herself. Cora spent all weekend trying her best to memorize her audition monologue, while also spending her entire Saturday with a massive hangover.

"Cora," Her brunette friend sighed, nudging her again until she finally looked back up at him. Wade's eyes were filled with sympathy and it only made Cora feel worse about herself, "You're a great actress. I always go to your guys' shows, so I would know."

A small smile spread across the girl's features. "Really?" The boy chuckled slightly and nodded, "Of course."

"Cora. Wade." Mr Potter slammed his book shut again. "Do I need to separate you?" He stood up and walked towards them, setting the book down in front of Wade. "How about you do the reading for the class."

Wade nervously smiled and nodded, a bit embarrassed at getting called out by his favorite teacher. He slowly began to read from the top of the page, stammering over a few words. His eyes squinted slightly to read through his teacher's numerous annotations, and even found himself getting slightly annoyed when a side conversation made him lose his spot. Nevertheless, he finished the rest of the page and quickly handed the book back to his teacher.

"Now you see how hard it is to teach a classroom full of you guys." He remarked to his class, before walking back to his seat. "Chapters three and four are homework, we will have a quiz on them on thursday. Have a great day." Mr. Potter leaned back in his seat as the loud school bell rang, propping his feet onto his desk.