𝟬𝟳, storm on the sea of galilee

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗦𝗘𝗩𝗘𝗡
episode two

          aven jones and john routledge were once inseparable. Far before the tainted toxicity of adolescence, when childhood innocence protected them by a metaphorical shield of the unknown. Back when ferociously screaming into the vibrant sky, carelessly wild, was a socially acceptable action for them. The brunettes were thrown together due to their families familiarity, sharing plentiful memories of play dates at the park, beach, pool or garden. AJ would push the boy on the swing set, be his partner on the seesaw, splash his face with the ocean's water - a perfectly innocent childhood best friend story.

Their first day together was at the beach - AJ could still distantly recall the smell of the ocean and curls in his hair. They collected shells, walking down the sand that clung to their skin ( though, they were without a care or complaint, as they were far too mesmerized by the colourful rocks they stored into a small woven bag ). At the end of that day, the pair had declared each other best friends.

For as far back as AJ could traverse through the dust covered memories in her mind, John B was always there. And as a kid, being stripped away from him after her parents divorced was a devastatingly lonely juncture. Suddenly she didn't have 'Johnny B-Blings' ( as she creatively blubbered out at age five ) and was forced to make friends with the arrogant rich kids from Figure Eight. AJ didn't receive much closure as to why her best friend was no longer allowed to see her - until she overheard an argument between her mother and one of her 'wine friends'.

"Big John is a psycho - he cares more about a treasure hunt then his own family!"

Upon the shit show that occured during her pre-teens, eventually resulting in her relocation to the cut, AJ was whiplashed with the actuality of how impertinent her childhood was. What seemed like a tragic end of a friendship at the age of nine, became something she hadn't even thought about in years. John B became indifferently blended into the crowds as she accompanied herself with new friends, new environments and interests. She grew up. And when she showed up at The Wreck, John B was intrigued enough to approach her after nearly seven years since the end of their friendship.

"So, what the hell're you doing here, anyway? Thought you kooks only eat at the five star restaurants."

"Moved to your neck of the woods, actually."

AJ wished she could've take a photograph of how dumbfounded John B's face became upon her information. Baffled, bewildered and discombobulated, the pair returned to a conversation that almost felt like they had spent no time apart at all. Kiara had silently questioned why the brunette was talking to the wealthiest, most reputable kook on the damn island - shooting him a puzzled expression from across the restaurant as she served a separate table. But the boy simply shrugged ( as discreetly as he could ) and embraced the friendliness of their conversation. It was that day, John B decided to introduce his childhood friend to the pogues.

Though reuniting came so naturally, as the months went by of AJ ( of which she acquired the nickname from the pogues ) slowly puzzling perfectly into the group, she was occasionally reminded of the time her and John B spent apart. She silently wondered to herself the possibilities of what would, could, and potentially should have happened. Would she have an entirely alternate life if she had continued to be friends with John B? Could she have been there for him when his father disappeared? Should she have ignored her mother's wishes of their separation?

As the pogues began their expedition to discover the mystery of the sunken boat, leading to John B's revival of hope regarding his father's disappearance, AJ wished that the day her mother approached her to explain she wouldn't be visiting the Routledges that weekend ( or any other weekend ), she had refused to comply. And though she was far too stubborn to even admit it to herself, she despised the tension that lingered between them over their argument the night before - guilt-ridden knowing that it was partially her own doing.