Chapter 16

When Filli returned home, he called for his sister, showing off the coins he had obtained from Shayne's group. "Look at how much money I got for a single tour! And they were super polite too, no trouble at all besides money conversion!"

His sister, Dhalia, looked at the coins with extreme excitement. "That's enough to buy some cheap food for a- no, almost two weeks!" she said excitedly, thinking about ways to splurge the money before that time came. Though tour guides did not necessarily get generous spendings, Jakuer was very lively and a hotspot for tourism, despite its small size, which made for decent earnings.

Filli was lost in thought for a second, which Dhalia quickly picked up on. "Was there something special about those tourists today?"

Long had she known of her brother's wish for adventure. In fact, it was a wish they shared. They've always imagined joining a group of travelers, leaving their home to the care of their close friends, and making their way across the world. Or, at the very least, across the region.

However, finding the right fit for the both of them was... hard, to say the least. As they were both young, Filli being 18 in three months and Dhalia having just recently turned 16, they had to be weary of strange travelers who could do them harm.

For the sake of time, the details will be spared, but overall none of the groups they have encountered beforehand would be a good environment for two teenage siblings.

But Filli felt that something was different with this group. Be it the fact that they all seemed to be friends, had some children and a dog already with them, etc. Perhaps those were the reasons Filli felt more comfortable about adding them as a choice.

"Make sure to spend more time with them, then," Dhalia suggested. "We don't know what motives they might have, and you've only known them for a day. I trust your instincts, but logic should also play a role in your final decision."

Filli nodded in agreement. "Of course, I plan to do just that!"

Over in the tent the others had situated themselves in, Waren was laying awake in his bed. He missed his wife and son dearly, but knew they would be just fine. Jakuer has a postal system available, so it may be the right time to write back and update his family as to how he was doing.

He moved to leave the tent when a cold hand touched his arm, sending shivers down his spine for a brief moment before he realized it was Ikuno, whose eyes seemed to glow as they stared into Waren's soul. Ikuno let Waren go, which Waren took as Ikuno realizing his true intent for leaving the tent. Ikuno was not suspicious of Waren. Simply checking to make sure eveything was okay with the man.

Waren quickly made his way to a teal tent meant for postal services, paying for a card and writing some thoughtful words for his family back home.

Dear Asaka,

It has been much time since I have last laid eyes upon you and Kei. I'm sure you are both doing well despite my absence, but I can't help but wish I would be there, by your side. I am well-aware that I will return one day, and that this journey of mine will serve its purpose eventually, but I can't help but miss home. Please let Kei know that I miss him dearly, and there is not a single day in which I am not keeping the both of you in my thoughts.

Before Waren could finish the letter, a dried flower bookmark caught his eye. 'A wonderful gift for my wife!' he thought to himself, before purchasing the bookmark and continuing the letter.

I saw this bookmark as I wrote this letter, and its beauty reminded me of you. I hope it becomes of use to you while I am away.

Sincerely,
Waren

Waren then sealed the letter within an envelope, signing all necessary documentation before he left, the night air nipping at his nose and a satisfied feeling welling within his chest. He hoped his wife and child were doing good.

Author's Note:

It has been... over a year. College has been stressful, to say the least ^^' I feel like writing a bit more about the characters, so here's a list of noteworthy characters so far:

Shayne Ahagane: King of the Ahagane Kingdom, and our main character. A timid, but wise and kind soul. Innocent, but not completely oblivious to whether people carry good or bad intentions. His intuition is extremely powerful.

Though I haven't been putting much thought into his personal character development as of late, I have been thinking about his character development for the future, despite my lack of updates ^^' For those of you who have been patiently waiting for me, I hope I can do you all good service. Shayne will get character development, I promise ^^'

Satsuki Ahagane: Shayne's older brother. More hot-headed, but also more outgoing than his younger brother. Was not chosen to be successor to the throne initially but has no problem with that because he believes Shayne is more qualified to be king. Had the responsibility of king thrust upon him when Shayne decided to go on this long journey. Currently, he's doing his job diligently, only wishing for Shayne to come back quickly.

Hiroshi Ayumi: Shayne's "most loyal soldier". Also quite hot-headed, but knows how to be sensitive. He and Ikuno come from the same poor village, and they are close despite seemingly always on each others nerves. One of the male leads in this story.

Ikuno Soori: Shayne's "most loyal servant". Usually calm, but can be dangerous when he's feeling negative emotions. He became a poison tester for Shayne in the palace, but had less worry of poisoning out on the road.

Sook: Talking dog, previously known as the "Creature of the Sook Jungle". Had acidic saliva due to eating special citrus fruits from the Sook jungle for so long. The acidic effects have worn out after having eaten a much more diverse diet during their travels, so items being melted has not been an issue for the group. He got his wish to experience so many foods :D

Waren Nagasaki: The married man. That's sorta what I think of him at least ^^' Devoted, loving, caring, almost fatherly-figure of the group. He's probably around 40 years old-ish? He loves his wife and kid very much.

Asaka Nagasaki: Waren's wife. Just as devoted, loving, and caring as Waren himself, if not more so. Was the first to confess. Remained home to sell Taev leaves (cure for the illness she had when they first met). Also around 40 years old, just reached menopause.

Vanessa: Child from the Yuni Clan. Is probably around 14 years old. A teen, but still young enough to be called a child by the others. She often acts older than her age, but loves dogs very much and often acts like a child around Sook. Has had trauma related to almost losing her "best friend" <cough> twice. I didn't give her a last name on accident ^^'

Kisa Taika: Child from the Yuni Clan. Is also 14. Almost died twice, but came back both times for some unknown reason. She and Vanessa are more than just "best friends". Was also quite traumatized from the incidents where she almost died, but puts on a brave face to not let Vanessa worry about her.

Candice: Colal woman who joined the party. She's trying to break the curse placed upon her clan. Has an unknown past other than her clan of origin. Is drawn to the lullaby sung by a half-siren, who heard it first somewhere else. Also has no last name ^^'

Luella: Half-siren who is drawn to Candice. Finds issue with Kisa's scars, and how they give her a weird feeling. Used to be alone before joining the group. Something also seems to be off about her, but not quite enough to make the group suspicious of her intents.

Hope this was a nice little recap! Until next time!

-Vanguard12😋