Chapter 2

Just about thirty minutes into the journey, Shayne was already tired.

"How much more?" he whined slightly. The farthest he had to walk was around the palace. Sure, he had gotten a bit stronger before he decided to go on this journey, but he was still weak compared to the soliers and servants of the palace.

"Shayne, we're not even fourty minutes into this walk," said his best friend and most loyal soldier, Hiroshi Ayumi. Hiroshi had originally come from a poor village, and was given the option - along with another villager - to become a soldier or servant to support his village, which he and his other village member gladly took. He became close to the king when Shayne was only a young prince, and they were inseparable. He was caring and protective, and loved his family and friends dearly. However, if anyone were to ever say what his bad points are, it's that he teases his friends so much that it's almost bullying, and when people try talking to him, he's not very good at socializing.

"Hiroshi-san, you have to remember that he's not used to this exercise," said Shayne's most loyal servant, Ikuno Soori. He was the other male from the same village as Hiroshi who took the offer to save his home, family, and friends. He often helps with small things like pouring tea and keeping Shayne company. He was also something of a bodyguard; when Hiroshi wasn't around, Ikuno protected the king. He even got training for poison immunity, and just became an official poison taste-tester. He was very calm about things, always trying to be positive, rarely negative. He is easy to get along with, and very easy to rant to, since he would listen without speaking before putting his opinion in after. He is also very good at giving advice. However, when he is negative, he's beyond scary. Unless, of course, he's arguing with Hiroshi, in which he acts neither scary nor calm, he sounds just like a normal person.

"It's alright, Ikuno. I expected that from Hiroshi," Shayne laughed. Shayne was a king, but he was very lenient with his servants, and he was also very likeable. The only reason why he is not someone the people want as a king is because he is utterly useless. He can't do any chores, he can't change into his own clothes without getting tangled in them at least once, he is weak, somewhat bad at negotiations unless he knows the opponent well, and he can't lead. He was really only good for his personality and looks.

"Your Highness, you shouldn't be so easy on him!" Ikuno chided. Despite their seeming hatred for each other in the palace, they worked well together and secretly were great friends. The king knew this, and the two knew that as well, but they just acted like enemies out of habit. They just like being as honest as possible.

"What do you mean by that!?" Hiroshi shouted. "I'm your senpai here, why do you act like you have authority over me!?"

Ikuno smirked. "Weren't you the one to say that age doesn't matter?"

Hiroshi flushed with embarrassment. "That was only for Shayne to hear!" Shayne was younger than both the others, Hiroshi being 21 and Ikuno being 20.

"Don't speak to His Highness so familiarly!" Ikuno snapped.

"But Ikuno, I tell you to stop being so formal with me," Shayne added in. "You can also just call me Shayne."

Ikuno was silent for a moment before saying, " I promised myself to only be informal with names on request when the person I like likes me back."

Shayne was shocked. Before, Ikuno only made excuses, saying that Shayne was king so Ikuno had to be polite with him. This was the first he heard of Ikuno having a crush.

Shayne was silent for a moment. Finally, he spoke, "Should I have left you back home to get your crush to like you?"

Ikuno was confused for a moment before making a face of realization, going to a nearby tree, and banging his head on the trunk a few times before returning. It seemed that the king had thought he had fallen in love with one of the female servants of the palace.

Hiroshi looked at Ikuno with a knowing expression, which Shayne caught. 'What's going on?' he thought. 'What does Hiroshi know that I don't?'

A/N:

Hey! I managed to update again! This is the first time I've updated a story without preparing the next chapter(s) first! I wanna thank Zeno-neechan for being very supportive of me, and all those who are reading this. ^^ Thanks all! :D
-Vanguard12😋