Chapter Thirty-Nine: Showdown

Kiyora did not dream when she slept that night.

Waking up the next morning left her with a crick in her neck and aching all over. She felt like she had been awake for years. Wiping the sleep from her eyes and drinking her coffee didn't help much. She felt a little better when she got her jumpsuit on and her hair combed.

Nelrein, it seemed, was feeling just fine. Kiyora could sense an odd kind of clarity from her she hadn't before. She could feel her presence, mind working even now. It was an odd experience, to say the least.

The redhead was training with her dagger. She was moving back and forth within the training grounds with obvious grace. The blade moved fluidly as her long legs stepped this way and that. She knew what she was doing. Not with the basic training that came with all self-defense classes, her keen gaze showed more. Kiyora had only seen this level of expertise from professional soldiers.

"Kiyora, you're here," said Nelrein.

"Yeah, mind if I try sparring with you?" asked Kiyora, checking her blade. A standard-issue scimitar she had been handed.

"If you want," said Nelrein, adjusting a high collar. "Though I think I might be biting off more than you can handle."

"I got the same training as everyone else," said Kiyora. "And I've been practicing my stances."

"It won't be enough," said Nelrein.

"All the more reason to get some," said Kiyora, a little annoyed. "I'm trying to round out my weaknesses."

And she stood across from Nelrein, drawing her blade. Her weapon was longer, so she had reached. But if Nelrein could get within the bounds of the sword, Kiyora would have a problem. Several other people could be seen around, training, though some looked up.

Nelrein remained unexpressive and impassive.

A moment later, she sprung forward. Kiyora stepped back a few paces to keep their distance and warded off a knife blow. But it was only a feint, and Nelrein turned on one foot to surge under her guard. Kiyora spun away from the jab, only to find Nelrein following. Forced to yield ground, Kiyora stumbled and fell backward.

Landing on the ground, she shot forward her sword as Nelrein advanced. That made her pause momentarily, and Kiyora rolled to one side. Even as she did, Nelrein had surged around the point. As Kiyora used her momentum to get to her feet, she swung her blade down, only for her to be around the point again.

Leaping into the air, Nelrein spun around and dove toward her. Before Kiyora could move, her blade was at her throat. Her gaze was impassive as usual, and Kiyora let out a breath.

"Okay, you're good," said Kiyora, putting down her sword.

Nelrein stepped back. "You have better instincts than I thought. Most would press the attack."

"You pick up a thing or two when you work with Harlenorians," said Kiyora, standing up. "So, Nelrein, what are you up to?"

"Belora has me doing some analysis on your findings," said Nelrein. She was turning to begin practicing stances again. "She wants me to follow up on some details surrounding what you found."

Kiyora took up her blade and began to practice those same stances. One thing she'd learned was that no amount of natural talent compensated for a lack of practice. "What kind of details are you going to find?"

"Inquires into appearances of fragments of the Devouring Sword," said Nelrein. "There have been several lately reported. There may be a new rising at this rate."

"Is that for certain?" asked Kiyora.

"It happens periodically," said Nelrein. "When it does, the fragments appear across the worlds. Some people consolidate the fragments and become more powerful. Others get consumed by their efforts or are consumed.