'cause i'm a little unsteady

Summary: After being diagnosed with mono, Chris suspects Matt to be the culprit.
Tags: Fluff and Angst, Light Angst, Sick Character, Anxiety Disorder, Platonic Brotherly Love, Canon Compliant, Crack
Author's Note: This is inspired by my brother giving me mono. During my finals week, may I add.

***

Chris' leg was shaking. It wasn't on purpose, or his way of getting out excess energy, or even that he had to relieve himself in the restroom. He was nervous.

For the past few days, he had felt tired. He could barely get out of bed to eat and even then it was hard to swallow the few bites his brothers made him consume. His head was pounding and sounds were muffled from his left ear which only made it harder to get through the day. After two days of this, his brothers tried to persuade him to go to the doctor which Chris had refused. He never liked doctors; they were invasive and uncomfortable. But then lumps formed which, upon Nick pointing his phone's flashlight down Chris' throat, were an obvious white against his pink tonsils.

"You're going to the doctor," Nick had said then as he turned off his flashlight.

Chris crossed his arms. "No," he refused.

Nick rolled his eyes. "You probably have strep," he began, "and that can only be treated with a prescription. You're going."

"But I don't like doctors," he'd whined out.

Nick had ignored him though as he began scrolling on his phone. And fifteen minutes later, he had an appointment for the next day.

Matt had dropped him off with an apology that he couldn't stay. There was some business meeting at the warehouse which originally Chris was attending but now was passed to Matt.

Now, Chris sat on the table with one leg bouncing and both legs swinging. The doctor had taken a blood test to rule out another illness which Chris had forgotten the name to. It had to do with kissing, but Chris hadn't kissed anyone in months so he doesn't quite know the correlation.

It felt like forever as he waited for the doctor to come back. He couldn't even be on his phone without being distracted by the equipment in the white room, the echoes of employees and patients walking past his door, and the anxious energy that clouded him.

He sighed in relief when he heard a knock and watched as the doctor came in, clipboard in hand.

"Hey, Chris," she began in a silky voice, a gentle smile laced across her face. "I have good news and bad news."

Chris' eyes widened. "Is it cancer? I fucking knew it. Is it treatable? It has to be, right? I'm going to die," he cried out as he buried his face into his hands.

"No, no. Love, it's not cancer," the doctor said.

Chris peeked through his fingers at her. He remained doubtful though hesitantly asked, "Are you sure?"

"Based on your blood and your exam today, you do not have cancer," she reassured.

Chris lowered his hands and smiled. "Oh, great," he said. He set his hands slightly behind him and leaned back. "What's wrong then?"

She chuckled at his quick change in attitude. "Well, the good news is that you don't have strep."

Chris' smile brightened. "My brother was wrong then?" At the doctor's nod, he grinned. "Fantastic. I'm totally using this against him."

"But," she began, "he wasn't really off."

Chris tilted his head in confusion. "Is it that kissing disease thing then? Because I haven't kissed a girl in eons," he said.