Chapter 4

Bella's POV:

It was morning, the sun shining through the window lighting up the room. It was going to be a beautiful day, the rain from yesterday long gone. Throwing the covers off, I got up and got ready for the day. Though the sun was out it didn't change the fact that it would still be cold, so I settled on my blue jeans, combat boots and my black leather jacket. Pulling my hair back into a high ponytail, I headed for the door. I didn't need to go to the bookstore today, but I was craving a coffee and blueberry muffin from the diner. My stomach was rumbling at the thought. Heading down the sidewalk, I got lost in my thoughts as usual and didn't hear someone walk up behind me.

"Hey." A deep rough voice said causing me to stop in my tracks and turn around.

There not even 5 feet away from me was a tall, muscular man with black hair and emerald, green eyes. He wore a long-sleeved black shirt with a brown leather jacket over it and ripped blue jeans. My heart fluttered at the sight of him. His scent was distinctive, like pine trees and oak. The smell made my mouth water and reminded me of the forest.

"Uhm, hi? Do I know you?" I replied with a shaky voice. His tone demanded your attention, like the way my father's used to.

"No, I don't think so. I am new to town, just passing through." He replied with a gruffy tone.

"Okay, well I will be on my way then." I said before turning and heading back towards town.

"Wait, maybe you can show me around?"

"No offense but I don't know you and I'm not the one to ask for a tour. I don't go to town much unless I need too and even then, its only to certain shops."

"So maybe you can show me what you do know then?"

This guy was not giving up. I didn't want to come off as rude, and something about him felt familiar. He definitely had my wolf's attention; I could feel her pushing through.

"Sure, I'm just heading out for a coffee and muffin." I said with a shrug.

We walked in silence for what felt like forever but was really only ten or so minutes. I headed into the diner with him following behind me and placed my order. He ordered the same and we sat in silence waiting for our food. When they called my name, I turned to him with a smile and grabbed my food.

"Well, as awkward as this has been it was nice to meet you. I'm going to head back home now." I said giving him a smile before heading out the door.

I sipped my coffee and munched on my muffin as I walked. Finishing it as I reached my front door. I walked into the house, threw my trash in the trash can and got dinner out to thaw for tonight. I didn't have anything to do, the house was clean, and I didn't have any new reading material, so I decided to let my wolf out to run. I could feel her trying to push through, more desperately. She needed out and with the town being so busy, I knew there wouldn't be anyone out to see me.

I walked to my back door, stripped my clothes and let the shift come over me. It was quicker this time, almost instant. She took off across the backyard, jumping over the bushes and into the forest. I could feel her excitement, but also her worry. She sensed something that I didn't. I couldn't tell if it was danger or what it was but there was definitely something nearby. We scanned the forest, searching for whatever was hiding, but found nothing. With a huff she headed towards the stream, once there she lapped at the water, filling her belly with water before turning her head quickly and facing behind us. Her ears perked, and snout to the sky. She was listening for something, trying to catch a scent. There was something there, barely but it was there. It wasn't strong enough to follow but it was strong enough to know that someone was there. I felt the rumble in our chest as she growled, head held low to the ground, body in a fighting stance ready for whatever was to come. But nothing ever did, the forest was silent. Once the danger had passed, she took off back through the forest, on the hunt for a fresh meal. There were no deer around, but there were bunnies. She chased one after another, eating them in one bite before she finally got her fill. It took more of them to satisfy her hunger than it did the deer. One was enough of them, but the rabbits being so small, it took thirteen sometimes more to satisfy her.

When she was done hunting, she headed back towards the house. Once there we shifted into human form and went inside. It was getting late; I didn't realize how long we had been out. The sun was setting, changing the sky to pretty purples and pinks. A blissful sigh leaving my lips as I headed upstairs for a shower. Other than the creepy hot guy today had been great and very relaxing. Just what I needed.

After my shower I went downstairs to prepare dinner. While my wolf was full, I was still starving, and the steak was calling my name. I cut up some broccoli and put it in the steamer, before throwing the steaks on the grill and cooking them just long enough to brown both sides. Making my plate I sat down on the couch and threw on a movie. The steaks were perfect, blood dripping out onto the plate with every cut. My mouth watered with each bite. I sipped on my wine and enjoyed my movie until the sky turned to darkness. With a yawn, I turned off the tv and headed to bed. My dreams filled with the mysterious man from today.