Chapter 45 - Reunion at Mycroft

The car drove off into the night. Several people inside were chatting happily about what had brought them together. Sherlock Holmes. Conan had entered a competition and was one of the winners.
   I want to leave.
   Yoko was sitting on Ran's lap. She wasn't really interested in Holmes, but she had to come.
   Let me go.
   Unable to complain out loud, she was getting angry in her thoughts. She was not at all comfortable. Besides, there were going to be other fans of the writer whose first name Conan had borrowed.
   Please help me.

   The car stopped in front of a house. Yoko got out first, enjoying the cool night air. She took the time to look at the house. It was quite large and stood on the edge of a cliff. She moved towards Conan quickly.
   -You'll pay for this! I know absolutely nothing about Sherlock Holmes!
   He was about to reply, but a lady approached, coming up to their level.
   -You two. You're hiding something! she said immediately
   -Are you?
  -Not really, no...
   Who's she?
   The young girl grabbed the wrist of the boy with glasses, pulling him towards the door.
   -What are you doing? asked the former high school student
   -I'm just preventing strange things from happening.
   -Why are you in a bad mood?
   -I'm not comfortable! I don't even have anyone to really talk to! I don't like being here!
   She let go of him and entered the house, puffing out her cheeks.

   The person who had organised the party welcomed everyone. He explained that he'd only chosen Holmes fans.
   He didn't choose Kogoro for that, in any case...
   And Yoko was right. Because Ran's father was a detective, he'd selected him. Many people grumbled, saying that he would never compare to the character in the books. Conan added that he'd hit him over the head. And when everyone heard his name, he was quickly surrounded.
   He just got the idea from looking at books...
   Yoko wanted to leave, as did Kogoro. But neither of them could.
   Looking at the boy, Ran started talking about Shinichi.
   -A riddle monomaniac, better at football than music.
   That accent... !

   The girl turned her head. Behind her, a boy in a cap, with a Kansai accent.
   What's he doing here?
   The girl in glasses looked at him. The first time she'd seen her was when Conan had regained his appearance through alcohol.
   -Ah, so you're a Holmes fan too? Ran asked the newcomer.
   -No, I'm not! I came because I thought I might meet Kudo there!
   He just wants to have another duel with him...
   -Having said that, it's Ellery Queen's work that really gets my goat! But I recognise that Doyles is still the master of the genre...

   Yoko sighed. She walked over to Ran, grabbing his sleeve to get his attention.
   -Can I go to our room?
   -Is it? It's true that you're less interested in Holmes than your brother... you must be bored...
   -And that's the case... Can I?
   The schoolgirl agreed and the child left with her hands in her pockets.

   She entered the room where all their belongings were. When they arrived, they had each been given their own room.
   -Do I really have to stay here?
   Yoko let herself fall onto one of the beds. She eventually got up and put on her pyjamas. She stuffed herself under her duvet and finally fell asleep.

   Ran and Kogoro had been asleep for a while. Conan was lying on the floor, answering a questionnaire. Yoko was awake because of the light and pencil noises. She finally got up and went over to the boy.
   -Don't you want to answer your thing later?
   -Don't worry, I won't be long!
   -It's already been two hours... some people are tired here! purred the young girl, yawning
   He didn't reply, continuing to answer questions.

   The hours passed slowly for the former schoolgirl. She stayed with Conan, watching the questions and the answers.
   Eventually, the day arrived. The young boy had not yet finished answering the questions. He was at the end. His "sister" yawned regularly, almost falling asleep on the floor. But her light sleep, waking her up at the slightest noise, prevented her from doing so.
   I'll enter you to sleep during the day...