Chapter 144 - Elevator

Takagi was outside the car, making a call. The children were inside the car, keeping silent. What more could he do? He couldn't even listen to what the policeman was saying. As well as being far away, his voice was drowned out by the panicked cries of the fleeing crowd.
   After a while, the man hung up and ran towards the tower, indicating something inaudible to the children.
   Conan opened the door.
   -Right, I'll go and see what's going on and come back. Stay alert if anyone suspicious approaches the car! he ordered, slamming the door. I'm not worried about you! Even without me, you'll manage. After all, you're the Detective Boys, aren't you?
   -... I'm going to follow him... Yoko announced as she left the room.
She also wanted to see the situation for herself. While dodging people, she caught up with her brother.
   -What are you doing here? he asked, a little surprised.
   -I'm coming with you, isn't it obvious? she replied immediately.
   He sighed, but said nothing more.

   -Akemi! What are you doing? Hurry up and come! called a mother.
   -There's still a child inside... Her mother's telling her to come out but the child's scared... Explained a man.
   -The space is too narrow for an adult to get through... Takagi observed.

   The two former high school students arrived at the lift. Conan took a quick look at the space.
   -In that case, help me get on! A child should be able to get through, shouldn't he? he said
   -Conan-kun, Yoko-chan?! What are you doing here? The policeman was surprised.
   -Can I go instead of Conan? Yoko asked. It'll be more reassuring for her to see a girl, and I know how to look after children...
   The detective glanced at her, understanding that her last sentence referred to her role as big sister.

   After a few seconds' hesitation, Takagi agreed and climbed into the chair in the mother's place. He grabbed the girl with the glasses and pulled her through the gap. She immediately gave him a warm smile.
   -Akemi-chan, isn't it? My name is Yoko. This cuddly toy is cute, I can tell. she reassured in a soft voice.
   She walked over to the little girl, who seemed slightly relaxed.
   -Do you like cuddles? asked the former schoolgirl, stretching out her arms.
   The child hesitated, but ended up going into the arms of the girl in front of her. The latter stroked her head.
   -Your mum wants a cuddle too, are you going to give her one?
   -Yes, I will!
   You could hear it, she was more reassured. She made her way to the exit. Takagi took her down.

   At the same moment, an explosion was heard and the lift began to descend. Yoko let out a cry of surprise
   -Yoko-chan!
   Takagi held out her hand, but she couldn't grab it.

   The girl was lying on the floor, Takagi with her. She heard her badge ring and picked it up to answer.
   -"Yoko?! Are you all right?" shouted Conan.
   -A bit ringing but I'm fine...
   She straightened up, the policeman with her doing the same. He wanted to ask her if she was all right, but she'd already answered.
   -"Is there a bomb in the lift?"
   -I don't see one...
   -"... Look on the roof then."

   He hung up the badge while she excused herself. For his part, Takagi received a call from Sato, to whom he summarised the situation.
   -Takagi-keiji, can you carry me to the roof? Yoko asked in the meantime.
   He agreed and took her on his shoulders, while talking to his colleague. The young girl climbed to the top of the lift and picked up her badge.
   -I'm at the top, but I can't see much...
   -I'll send you my watch if you feel like grabbing it.
   -Go on...
   Looking up, she could see the frame of the building where the lift had failed. Conan sent his torch-lit watch to it, and his sister received it correctly. She pointed it in front of her, where the famous bomb was.