Chapter 79 - A Fake Suicide

Yoko had called Conan so that he could help her solve the murder. She had explained the situation to him, and what she had found as well as what seemed strange to her. But it wasn't enough for the boy to know how the hanged man had appeared on the screen or who had killed him.
   -Well... We'll have to manage... Are you sure you didn't see anything strange?

   Mitsuhiko remained silent for a few minutes, looking embarrassed. The former schoolgirl forced him to say
   -When I went to the toilet, I saw the woman who gave us popcorn holding her eyelids in front of the girls' toilet mirror... Before the shadow appeared on Emera's stage...
   -... And?
   The girl in glasses didn't see the connection. What would she have done in the toilets for a murder?
   -We can always go and look in the projection room... If it's the woman or the guy in charge of the projector, they'll have hidden things...
   -But if Megure-keibu sees us...
   Ayumi began to worry on this point. The inspector had told the children off for being there.
   -I'm going alone, if you come with me I won't be so discreet!

   Without further ado, she returned to the room and slipped into the projection room. It was a bit of a mess, and the mirror was in a bad state.
   There must be something...
   Finding nothing, Yoko left the room. She went over to the lady and asked her what she was doing in the toilets, explaining that her friend had seen her there. She explained that she had put her contact lenses back in.
  Why did you do it in the toilet then?

   The girl left the room, still thinking. There was a link, but she couldn't work out what it was.
   If Conan had been there, it would have been quicker...
   When she got close to the boys, she noticed that the two girls had disappeared.
   -Where are Ayumi-chan and Haibara? she asked the boys.
   -They went to the toilet... Genta replied.
   -... Stay there, I'm going to join them...
   Maybe Haibara will have an idea...

   Yoko arrived at the girls' toilets. She immediately looked at the mirror and approached it.
   And if there was no mirror at that moment... why wouldn't there have been...
   -So, you don't mind?
   The young filent gasped, not having seen Haibara arrive. Or perhaps she hadn't noticed her presence.
   -Every morning when I see that, it gives me the shivers. "Who are you? That's the question I ask myself... This mirror, which is supposed to reflect the truth, doesn't reflect what you really look like...
   Reflect? Could that work?
   -How does this mirror not reflect my real appearance? The one I have now is reality! Don't think too much! she smiled. I need to test something, and I've got this idea thanks to you!
   Without further ado, the brunette left the toilet. She didn't know if her idea would work, but she wanted to try.

   The lights in the cinema went out to the surprise of those present. It was Agasa who had done it, under Yoko's command. The man had arrived to collect the children and the young girl had taken advantage of the opportunity to use him to solve the case.
   I hope it's all right...

   The teacher announced that he was going to solve the murder. He switched on the projector. At first, there was nothing in front of it, but then a shadow appeared. This was explained by Genta holding on to a rope. The adults refused to believe it and supported the fact that the corpse was swinging, so Agasa explained that the window in front of which the corpse was swinging had been hidden and Haibara turned on the air conditioning. By the time the body was discovered, it was colder in the room.
   One of the members of staff ran into the projection room when he saw that the film had changed projection windows, one showing the corpse and the other the other.
   I'm glad my guess worked...
   Yoko sighed with relief as the teacher demonstrated the trick with the mirror. A small piece redirected the beam onto the rest of the mirror, which reflected it back onto the screen. This change caused the image to blur.
   With all this, the criminal finally confessed to what he had done. The man in charge of the projection just wanted to protect the cinema he loved so much.