Chapter 14: Taking The Reins

Fatima's heart raced as she sat in her car, her mind buzzing with urgency. Not long after leaving Zac's office, her phone buzzed with her brothers' call. Jamal's name flashed across her screen, and without hesitation, she answered. "Hey, Jamal," Fatima greeted, her voice filled with a mix of relief and anticipation. "Damon is on the line too," Jamal replied, confirming that they had received her message. Fatima wasted no time in expressing her urgent need for their presence in Atlanta.

The revelation from Zac sent a wave of unease through her, her insides twisting as she processed the gravity of the situation. The very thought that Zac's brother could be entangled in a debt with her own father was mind-boggling. In a world that never ceased to surprise her, this was one twist she hadn't anticipated. She needed to piece together this perplexing puzzle, and for that, she required her brothers' perspectives."Guys, I really need you to come to Atlanta and see me. I've just found out some information, and I want to make sure I have all the facts before taking it to Dad," Fatima explained, her voice filled with determination. Jamal's response was immediate and reassuring. "Say less, sis. I've got something I want to run by you anyway," he said, his words conveying his unwavering support.

Damon chimed in, his voice brimming with brotherly affection, "Yeah, Ti, we'll be there tomorrow. Don't stress yourself out. And make sure you have some of your famous pepper steak and rice waiting for me when I get there. Can't nobody make that shit like you." "You're just greedy, Dame," Fatima playfully retorted, her love for her brothers shining through. Jamal interjected, "Hell Yeah, he is, but I bet you're gonna make that shit for him though." Damon playfully pleaded, "Please, baby sis you know you the truth in the kitchen and your pepper steak is the shit."

Jamal joined the conversation, adding his own playful banter, "I know, bro! Her shit do be bussing my fucking gravy never turns out right." "Y'all lucky I love y'all, I'll make it" she says affectionately unable to hold back her laughter. "But seriously, Jamal, do you even know how to make gravy." Jamal replied confidently, "Yeah, you put some flour in some water and stir that shit up." Fatima and Damon burst into laughter. "No, it's not that simple, Mal," she said, trying to stifle her laughter. "Everyone knows you have to brown the flour on the stove first."

Jamal's realization hit him, and he joined in the laughter, admitting, "I knew that shit wasn't supposed to be white." Laughter filled the air as they bantered back and forth. Their laughter echoed through the phone, she couldn't help but smile, appreciating the lighthearted moment amidst the seriousness of their situation. Taking a deep breath, Fatima continued, "By the way, I've made some significant progress on the properties. I've put together a plan that I think will be very beneficial for everyone. I want to fill you both in on the details."

Her brothers responded with enthusiasm, their voices filled with anticipation. "Okay, we'll be there," they said in unison, their commitment unwavering. They reassured Fatima of their support and expressed their love for one another before ending the call. As Fatima pulled away from the curb, determination coursed through her veins. She knew that time was of the essence, and she had to take action immediately. With a sense of urgency, she made her way to the Department of Building and Safety, Planning and Zoning Department.

Arriving at the department, Fatima's determination grew stronger. She was prepared to do whatever it took to obtain the permits necessary to move forward with her plan. With each step she took, she felt a surge of confidence, ready to face any obstacles that stood in her way. As she approached the counter, Fatima explained her purpose and provided the required documentation. Though met with some skepticism and bureaucratic hurdles, she persevered, using her extensive knowledge and determination to navigate the process.

After what felt like an eternity, the permits were finally in Fatima's hands. The weight of the paper felt like a boulder lifting from her shoulders, a tangible sign of progress. These permits were the key to the larger, more influential businesses, the cornerstone of her father's operation's success. With only a few more to secure for the smaller buildings, which now seemed a minor task, Fatima allowed herself a moment of triumph. With the critical permits secured, she stepped out of the department, her mind already ticking through the logistics of the next phase.