Hyun-Su x Reader || Four

A/N: Same relationship as in the other Hyun-Su parts. For additional context, reader and Hyun-Su were in high school together, but reader was only there for a year before going to another high school, and therefore has no knowledge of the bullying which hyun-su was a victim of.

This chapter contains a suggestive scene, with no explicit descriptions. Please proceed with caution.

*****************************************

There is something strange about spring returning in a forever changed world. It had been so fitting, the apocalypse starting with winter, when everything was dead and desolate. Now, nature is starting to bloom again. The streets should be filled with noise and people, and you should be studying for your exams. Instead, you're rationing your food, and you haven't been outside in forever — you don't need to, now that you have a knight in his torn hoodie to make sure you have everything you need.

Hyun-Su truly is the silver lining in the situation. The only good thing in the world as it is. He's been more confident around you lately, more at ease. Still, it surprises you when he comes by on a sunny afternoon, and offers, with this soft, cautious voice of his:

"Do you want to go out today?"

You're putting away some fresh fruits he picked for you, and you turn around in confusion.

"What do you mean, out?"

'Outside' is dangerous. 'Outside' is a place you only go when you're desperate, and you plan as efficiently as possible, to ensure you spend the least amount of time there. 'Outside', everything is a threat, and you can only breathe when you're back at the house.

'Outside' regularly takes Hyun-Su from you.

Sure, he's around a lot more, these days, but he still has to leave every now and then. You've come to understand that you're not the only one who relies on him, but he hasn't provided an explanation, and you haven't pried. It burns a little every time he leaves, and yet...

And yet, the fear that he wouldn't answer if you asked is worse. The fear that he might not come back if you didn't let it rest. The fear that if he had to choose, he wouldn't choose you.

"It's nice out," he answers, and you notice him retreating even as he's still speaking. "But you don't have to, if you don't want to—"

"No, I'd love to," you cut him off before he can doubt himself further. "I just— Wouldn't that be— dangerous?"

"Oh." He smiles, and it's mesmerizing. It's not the bright, joyful smile you were used to seeing, back in high school, but being more subdued doesn't make it any less genuine. "I'll keep you safe. I promise."

There's no cockiness in his voice, just confidence.

"Then... Sure. I'd love to go out with you." And you're not usually the type to say that, because you don't have the guts for it, but you feel comfortable enough with Hyun-Su to lean towards him with a playful smile. "It's a date then?"

He lets out a brief, surprised laugh, then glances down at his feet while his cheeks and ears turn red.

"Sure. It's a date."

Even if you were the instigator, you still feel your face burn at how soft his eyes are when he looks back at you.

He looks at you like you're one of the seven wonders.

You see him lick his lips as his eyes fall on yours. You could always take the step to fill the distance between the two of you, but Hyun-Su rarely initiates, so you want to give him the chance to do so. When he does, it's always so soft and so careful, like he's afraid of breaking you. After a few seconds, he clears his throat, looks away again — and it's alright. You won't rush him.