Eun Hyuk x Reader || Two

Same relationship as in the previous Eun Hyuk chapter.

Written for the 'Turning Over a New Leaf' fandom event on Tumblr.

Prompt: A Change in Nature.

**************************************************

Eun Hyuk is more tense lately, more irritable. Everyone can feel it, though most people chalk it up to the dwindling rations and the growing fear that the army simply isn't coming to save you. You can tell that Eun Yu doesn't believe in that, though, and neither do you.

Eun Yu doesn't seem to have an actual explanation for her brother's out of character behavior. She pokes and probes and throws out cutting remarks to see what sticks, but she doesn't seem all that worried either.

"He does that sometimes," she answers you bluntly when you ask if she thinks Eun Hyuk is doing alright. "There's probably something he wants to fix. I'm sure he'll get there. He just needs a little push."

That doesn't satisfy you. You don't like to sit idle while people are in pain, don't like to sit idle at all, actually, even if someone is hammering that you're doing it 'for the greater good". But the thing is, you and Eun Hyuk... don't get along that well. You clashed a bunch in the beginning, before you were outvoted by the people who thought Eun Hyuk would bring them safety, at least. It was a short-term solution, what he was offering, you'd argued — to which he had replied that yours was a death sentence.

You still admired him. The decisions he had to make on a daily basis couldn't be easy ones to make, nor were the sacrifices. Of course, you still often believed he chose wrong, but you had to admit that he had kept most of the group alive until now, and considering the circumstances, that was truly impressive.

You just wish that he would let you do more. Instead, he's constantly getting in your way, particularly when it comes to helping the infected. 'Your abilities could help the whole group', he'd say. 'We can't afford to lose them because you trusted someone you shouldn't have.' It drove you insane, how easily he'd interfere, always with these pseudo rational arguments that you never really bought were genuine ones.

It felt as if they were just for show, and as such you never felt all that guilty for going against his orders.

You weren't dumb. You wouldn't put others in danger unless they were willing to risk themselves for something. But you also refused to let others get hurt through your own inaction. So if you had to sneak around to see Hyun-Su's in order to treat his wounds and bring him food, then you'd do as you damn pleased, and neither Eun Hyuk nor anyone else had any say in that. It was your life, and it was your decision.

Still, you can't say you're thrilled when you find Eun Hyuk waiting for you when you exit Hyun-Su's so-called room. He's leaning against the wall, hands in his pockets, and he gives you an annoyed look when you come out.

"What did I tell you?" he asks you coldly.

You grimace. The two of you are almost the same age, and you hate that patronizing tone he insists on taking with you.

"Hyun-Su needed help," you say. "There is a limit to what even you can ask of me."

He's silent for a while. You notice him clenching his fists, and something unusually dark passes in his eyes. His jaw tenses, a vein bulges on his forehead. You think you've done it now, that you're going to get an earful — even if you still don't quite understand why. There's simply no reason for him to care that much, and the lack of control is blatantly unlike him.

You'd run into him often, before this whole— thing— started. He was always quiet but sweet, would smile politely when you got in the elevator, maybe exchange niceties with you when you met in the lobby. He'd leave early and come home late, with the look of someone who hadn't taken a breather all day, but it never appeared to have any effect on his temper.