To Have A Home | Chapter 4 | Book 1 Ch 4

Nothing particularly interesting happened during the journey from the train station up to Hogwarts, and the third-years got to the great hall uninterrupted aside from the rush to get in the first carriage they spotted.

     Eventually, after the second-years and up had settled in their seats, the doors to the great hall opened once more and the first-years were led in by Professor McGonagall.

     Arwen and George both smirked when they spotted a head of ginger hair in the crowd and put their plan into action. The Hufflepuff extended her braids, lifting them into the air so they were just above the height of the tallest first-year and extending down into the hands of George who was sitting on the other side of the walkway the first-years would be going down.

     Upon seeing what they were doing, Ron immediately groaned, his face burning red with embarrassment making them both snicker at their success, leaving the arch until all the first hears had passed through ( and taking extra time to trip Malfoy in the process).

     As per tradition, the sorting hat was placed on its customary school and - much to the shock of the first-years - began to sing.

"Oh, you may not think I'm pretty,

But don't judge on what you see,

I'll eat myself if you can find

A smarter hat than me.

You can Keep your bowlers black,

Your top hats sleek and tall,

For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat

And I can cap them all.

There's nothing hidden in your head

The Sorting Hat can't see

So try me on and I will tell you

Where you ought to be

You might belong in Gryffindor,

Where dwell the brave at heart,

Their daring, nerve, and chivalry

Set Gryffindors apart;"

     Fred, George, and Lee all grinned, sticking their tongues at their friends at the other table.

"You might belong in Hufflepuff

Where they are just and loyal,

Those patient Hufflepuffs are true

And unafraid of toil;"

     Arwen and Naomi returned the favor with Hestia choosing to wisely stay out of their ongoing rivalry that only applied during sorting or Quidditch matches.

"Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw

If you've a ready mind,

Where those of wit and learning,

Will always find their kind;