It's Gilderoy! ( Sparkles) | Chapter 11 | Book 2 Ch 5

About a week after rescuing Harry from his aunt, uncle, and cousin, the letters from Hogwarts came to The Burrow on a bright Sunday morning.

     " Letters from school," Mr. Weasley said as a way of greeting when Harry and Ron entered the kitchen." Dumbledore already knows you're here, Harry - doesn't miss a tick, that man... You three have got them, too."

     Fred, George, and Arwen all nodded their thanks, having followed the second-years into the room, and sleepily opened their letters as they sat down at the kitchen table.

     Arwen took a sip of the cup of tea Mrs. Weasley had prepared for her and immediately spit it out after glancing at the book's list.

     " Seven books for a single class!?" She choked, staring wide-eyed at the paper as she and George compared their book lists in case it was a miss-print.

     Fred leaned over to look at Harry's list." You've been told to get all Lockhart's books, too? The new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher must be a fan - bet it's a witch."

     " That lot won't come cheap," George bemoaned." Lockhart's books are really expensive.

     " Well, we'll manage," Mrs. Weasley assured him, voice calm but face filled with barely concealed worry." I expect we'll be able to pick up a lot of Ginny's things secondhand."

     Harry glanced over at the youngest girl at the table." Oh, are you starting at Hogwarts this year?"

     She nodded, but didn't get much of a chance to reply before Percy entered the room.

    " Morning all, lovely day."

    He went to sit down before jumping up again an instant later and pulling Errol up by the legs.

     " Errol!" Ron shouted, jumping to his feet and grabbing the helpless owl." Finally - he's got Hermione's answer. I wrote to her saying we were going to try and rescue you from the Dursleys."

     He grabbed the letter, ignoring Errol as he fell off his perch, and beginning to read it aloud.

     " Dear Ron, and Harry if you're there,"

     "  I hope everything went all right and that Harry is okay and that you didn't do anything illegal to get him out, Ron, because that would get Harry into trouble, too. I've been really worried and if Harry is all right, will you please let me know at once, but perhaps it would be better if you used a different owl, because I think another delivery might finish your one off. I'm very busy with schoolwork of course - "

     Here, Ron stopped reading for a second out of shock." How can she be? We're on vacation!"

     "- And we're going to London next Wednesday  to buy my new books. Why don't we meet in Diagon Alley? Let me know what's happening as soon as you can. Love from Hermione."

     " Well, that fits in nicely," Mrs. Weasley spoke up, beginning to clean up after breakfast." We can and get all your things then, too. What're you all up to today?"

     Most of the kids except Percy shrugged at each other, as if debating whether to tell her their plans for the afternoon, until Ginny piped up.

     " Quidditch."

     That was the only work spoken before they all headed out, retrieving brooms and supplies before making their way up the hill to the opposite side of The Burrow of the Casters Household.

     " Wish I knew what he was up to," Fred mentioned halfway up the hill, referring to Percy's mysterious disappearance after breakfast." He's not himself. His exam results came the day before you did: twelve O.W.L.s and he hardly gloated at all."

     " Ordinary Wizarding Levels," George mock-whispered to Harry." Bill got twelve, too. If we're not careful, we'll have another Head Boy in the family. I don't think I'd be able to stand the shame."

     " I thought Arwen was practically a shoe-in for head girl," Ron said, elbowing his brother." How'd you deal with that shame?"

     George latched his arms around the girl in question." You wouldn't do that to us, would you? You wouldn't choose some shiny badge over your best friends?"

     Fred leaned on her front the other side." No, no she'd never. Besides, it's not like we'd make it to see that day. We would've already died of shame if we were caught being friends with a prefect."

     " Oh, please," Arwen laughed, trying in vain to shove them off her." Hestia and Tamira are equally in the running for prefect next year - more so than me, probably, they've both got better grades I'm pretty sure - although, wouldn't it be useful to have a prefect for friend? Then you'd have a guy on the inside to get you out of trouble."

     The twins looked at each other before shrugging.

     " We'll consider it."

     " You should be receiving an answer in five to seven business days."

     And then they were off playing Quidditch over the apple orchard, three people per team with a beater, a chaser, and a keeper on each side. It wasn't exactly the fairest fight given that after divying up teams, Harry and Arwen ended up on the same team and also were the only ones with decent brooms, although Harry was a little off balance having been delegated to being that teams keeper.

     Inevitably, Harry, Arwen, and George's team ended up winning, especially because Ron kept flinching away whenever Arwen went to score, making him not the best keeper - he'd only been knocked unconscious by her throw one time when he was seven, but that tended to make him a bit hesitant.

      They started to head back when Dinner was called, immediately bringing the mood down a bit, remembering the book lists from earlier when they noticed them on the kitchen table.

     " Dunno how Mum and Dad are going to afford all our school stuff this year," George muttered." Five sets of Lockhart books, and Ginny needs robes and a wand and everything..."

A/N: Another chapter done after a brief break over the weekend.

I hope you have an absolutely wonderful rest of your day!

- Alex