Prologue

"It's been a long day, without you my friend, and I'll tell you all about it when I see you again."

———————————————

"Danny Reid, you are under arrest for aiding and abetting to treason and theft."

Those were the words that ruined Danielle's life.

Her dad had been good friends and colleagues with Jake Griffin; her best friend Clarke Griffin's dad.

Actually, her ex best friend's dad.

Clarke's and her dad had discovered that The Ark had mere months left of oxygen and supplies until they ran out. Usually, this would be a normal occurrence for the Ark's best engineers, but no, not this time. This time, Jake wanted to go public about it. Danny had tried to convince Jake not to, that it wasn't worth it. So of course, being the friend he was, Jake convinced Danielle's dad to help him tell the frightening news to the civilians of The Ark.

The two engineers were planning to record a video of them telling the news, then putting it on the screens that regularly lined the walls of the hallways in The Ark, but they were caught before they could.

Of course, like the strict and violently enforced rules on even the smallest of crimes, Jake and Danny were to be sentenced to death. But they were in space. That meant they were going to get floated, a.k.a getting thrown into space to die without oxygen or helmets.

It was the day.

The day for Jake and Danny to be floated.

Danielle, her mum Rachel, and Clarke, with her mum Abby, gathered at the air-locked door. In front of them, stood each of the girl's dads in handcuffs.

Tears were running down Danielle's face as she begged Chancellor Jaha to have mercy on her dad. But being the hard-headed, shallow-minded person that he was, he said no.

"We'll give you guys a moment to say goodbye." The Chancellor said.

He stepped back and motioned for his guards to do the same.

Danielle ran forward and swept her dad into a tight hug.

"Please don't leave me, dad. Please." She cried into his shoulder.

"You know I'll always be there, Dragonfly. Just maybe not when I'm alive. But my spirit will always be with you. I need to make this sacrifice, the civilians need me." He whispered as he rubbed her back.

"But, it's just that— I need you too." Danielle sobbed.

"It'll be okay, Dragonfly. You'll see me soon." He comforted her as a few tears rolled down his cheek as well.

They stayed hugging for a few more moments before he pulled away and said, "I gotta say bye to your mum now, can't let you have all the love, can I?"

Danielle tried to smile at his joke, but the tears locked her face and all she could do was look at him sadly.

Danny said farewell to Rachel, with many tears, promises, and hugs.

"Alright, that's enough time." Jaha said as he stepped forward.

The guards grabbed each of her dad's arms to lead him to the door, but before he walked away, Danielle sprinted forward to give her dad one last hug. He tried to reciprocate the best he could with the handcuffs on, but eventually he let her go, not looking back.

The guards continued to move Danny forward and into the separate area for floating criminals.

"Airlock secured, release on count down." A robotic voice announced.

"10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Release activated." The machine continued.

A whirring sound was heard, then suddenly Danny and Jake were grabbed by an invisible arm and sucked into space.

"NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!" Danielle screamed and then collapsed into her mum's arms, sobbing and screaming insults at the Chancellor.

Clarke hugged her mum tight as well, and after a few minutes of just hugging and comforting the parents pulled away.

Danielle's mum also ran to Abby to comfort her too, as they had become friends over the tears as well.

Danielle now balled up against the cold metal wall, crying into her arms and rocking back and forth.

"Dani," Clarke said slowly as she walked over to her.

Danielle looked up at Clarke with an enraged face and she stood up to face her.

"This is your fault!" Danielle screamed.

"W- what?" Clarke spluttered.

"If you convinced your dad to not go public, my dad wouldn't have been floated! But you didn't and it's your fault!" Danielle spat.

"Dani, I tried, you gotta understand. I tried, but he wouldn't listen." Clarke replied, trying to stay calm, a bit taken aback.

"Well you didn't try hard enough!" Danielle yelled.

She leaped forward and tackled Clarke to floor, slapping and punching her whilst saying, 'You bitch! You didn't try hard enough!" In between.

Abby and Rachel tried breaking them apart, but Danielle wouldn't budge, and Clarke kept getting more and more bloodied up and bruised.

The guards quickly came to intercept after hearing the commotion, but Danielle attacked them too, breaking their batons.

After she got bored of attacking them, she just lay curled up on the cold, hard floor and cried.

After recovering from Danielle's sudden outburst, the guards stood up and decided on what to do. Chancellor Jaha finally came to the scene to decide Danielle's fate. After a few minutes of murmuring and discussing, he came to an decision.

"Danielle Reid, you are under arrest for assault, damage to private property, and slander." He said, looking down at her, with no pity in his eyes.

The guards moved forward to grab her off the ground but she shook them off, getting up herself and facing her mum as she was handcuffed.

"I'm sorry mum", was all she said before getting taken away, to probably be thrown into a jail cell to rot until she was old enough to be floated.