9: A game not to be played

*This is another song that I've listened to a lot while writing this, it's sort of a spicer theme to this book lol. Highly recommend it fits this story almost too well

*If not showing, it's Like Lovers Do: hey violet

A peaceful two weeks sank through the depths of time, and Jisung took his time finding his way back to the job board at the guild. He was well rested thanks to his new bed, and he was ready to take on another job due to complete boredom. And it never hurt to save more money.

However, as Jisung entered the main hall, he was instantly swarmed by none other than Seungmin, a healer mage, and Changbin.

"I've been dying to ask how things went with Minho!" Changbin gasped dramatically, yanking the fire mage over to a table. "I was on my own job when you came back so I haven't had the chance, tell me everything."

Jisung chuckled. "Why? You're friends with him, if you don't want to hear how much I hate him, don't ask me to spill anything."

Changbin rolled his eyes. "You two are just petty and immature. I really think you are both just so offended that the other is good looking, that you just naturally decided it was easier to wish death upon one another."

Seungmin lightly smacked the mage's muscular shoulder. "You know that't not going to change anything between them, stop pushing it."

"Okay, you can't blame me for trying. But Jisung, I heard Minho literally threw you at a dragon, is that true?"

That was definitely enough to make Jisung laugh again. "Well someone is exaggerating whatever they overheard. There was a wyvern and goblins, I was traded like an object. Does that clear things up?"

The other mages blinked at him.

Behind them, the door opened and, of course, the very mage they were talking about strolled in. Jisung was still not willing to be near the water mage, so he pushed to his feet. "If you want details, ask him. I have places to be."

"Minho! You have a story to tell!" Changbin's loud voice rang out as Jisung made for the bulletin. He loved his friends, he really did, but their push for details could be really troublesome, and he wasn't the greatest storyteller. Especially not when it came to talking about his rival.

The job postings were rather slim today. It seemed Jisung picked a rather rotten day to come in, but he was here, and he wasn't totally willing to leave empty handed. As he finally reached for a simple job that was fairly close by, a shadow fell over him, and a subtle smell of mint leaves and pine invaded his senses.

Had he ever noticed how Minho smelled before?

"Look who's out and about."

An unexpected shiver danced up Jisung's spine at the low sound of Minho's voice, but he quickly dismissed it. "And look who's bothering me. Big surprise." He pretended to study the posting more closely to give Minho a few precious seconds to back up.

"Come on, don't act as if you don't enjoy it, darling." Minho leaned closer. "That's a nice little gig. Do you really need more money already?"

Jisung calmly looked straight ahead. "Get out of my space before I set your hair on fire."

Minho chuckled. "Ah, I understand. We're in public, you're shy about being this..." he leaned into Jisung's ear, "close." Then he backed up, that stupid, smug grin painting his features.

Reminding himself to be patient, Jisung turned to face Minho more directly. "Are you going to steal this job of mine as well?"

"No, it looks much too boring."