14: Trust issues

*Slight TW: hints of past violence and abuse

The rain falling all around them was suddenly very loud to Jisung's ears, and he became aware of everything, including the pain from the injuries he sustained, as he stared up at Minho with uncertainty.

"Jisung."

He flinched, trying to shrink away from the hand cupping his jaw on instinct. "Minho, please help me down," he found himself saying, tugging at the chain still bruising his wrist.

"Don't pull on it," Minho instructed, voice still eerily soft as he reached out to touch the chain.

Jisung swallowed dryly, watching the other mage like a hawk. "How did you find me?"

Minho's fingers wrapped around Jisung's wrist over the chain. "I know this area, those criminals don't. Tracing your steps was easy." His grip suddenly tightened, making the fire mage take in a sharp breath, expecting pain from the harsh hold but not yet feeling any. "Stop avoiding my question, Ji. Why did you follow me here?"

A small amount of courage snaked into Jisung's chest. "I was just returning the favor, stalker."

"Right," Minho hummed, stepping back a little. His expression was barely visible, but it was dark and dangerous. "Doing that was beyond foolish."

"Are you really that angry with me?"

"Yes."

Jisung faltered, not expecting the concern lacing that simple answer. "Why?" 

Minho let out a dry laugh. "Are you really asking me that after you followed me? I have every right to be angry."

"Well I'm not going to apologize after what I just saw. You're up to something and-" Jisung let out a short cry of pain when Minho suddenly yanked the chain up.

"And you are going to stay out of it, Mage Jisung," Minho snapped, cold eyes searing into him.

The bite of the chain digging into his skin had Jisung wishing he could run away. He gritted his teeth. "Let go. It hurts."

The pressure on the chain instantly gave way, but Minho kept a hold of it. "Am I clear?"

"Why should I listen to you?"

Minho suddenly turned and started walking, pulling the chain like the other mage was a dog on a leash.

Jisung tried planting his feet, but that only resulted in his feet slipping and more pain twisting  through his skin. "What are you doing? Let me go, Minho."

"No."

"If you're taking me back to those people, I won't go without a fight."

A scoff. "You have so little faith in me."

"I'd have more faith if you stopped being such a-"

Another harsh yank of the chain, and Jisung's words froze in his throat as he stumbled forward and stopped within inches of Minho's face, which was still painted with cold anger.

"Think back a few weeks, darling. Remember the goblins? The wyvern?"

Jisung blinked. "What does that have to do with anything?"

"Back then you didn't see the whole picture, and you instantly believed the worst of me, just like you are right now." Minho scanned their surroundings carefully as the fire mage was left temporarily speechless. "If I let you go, you'll either be caught by Amia's men, or you might go straight to Enforcement."

"I wouldn't-"

Minho rolled his eyes. "Stop talking and just follow me."

"Take this chain off, and I might be more willing to cooperate."