Six

~Callie~

"8 percent?!" I nodded as Lil skated around the ice. I had this morning off now that Sarah was back from her bug but it'd taken 9 solid days of bone breaking work without a break and I was flat out exhausted. Way more than usual. The pay rise Mark had told me about last week was going to be a huge weight off my shoulders. It was going to boost my savings, meant I could afford a decent dress for the wedding ad I didn't need to worry about staying home with my parents now, I could afford a hotel and not have to sleep in the same bed as whichever hockey player Theo is okay with me taking. 

"It's like one and a half extra shifts a month, which, in theory, isn't a huge amount but-" Lil sighs. 

"I really wish you'd let me help with your bills Callie." 

"Not a chance. You guys work damn hard for your money." 

"And you work 4 times as hard as either of us and you're barely keeping your head above water. I got too much for the interviews and the medal and everything. Please let me-" 

"No." 

"Callie-" 

"Lil, please don't do put us both through this again. It's awkward and makes me feel horrific. I'm fine. My bills are paid, I have some savings,  I have food and some spare money." 

"You'd have more if you let me cover your utilities. Or move in with-" 

"Not a chance. I love you and Theo but I also did not enjoy listening to you guys fuck like rabbits in college. I'd rather not put me through that again." 

"You know what, probably a good call- we're worse no-" 

"WOAH! HEY! TOO MUCH INFORMATION!" Lilah cackled, skating over to the edge of the wall and grasping it tight. "I'm fine Lil. The right opportunity is going to knock on my door any day now and-" 

"You'll tell yourself you're not good enough, that it's not the right time, that you can't afford the pay drop between your first wage and the last one." She cocked a perfectly plucked eyebrow at me. "You've had opportunities Cal. You only moved up here because I put the deposit down on your apartment and made Kaz pack your stuff whilst you were at work." I sighed. "There's nothing wrong with asking for help Cal. That money is literally sat in a bank doing nothing. I'd rather give it away to someone who needs it and deserves it and you deserve it." 

"I love you, but lets change the topic before I go into a cleaning frenzy." She chuckles. 

"Are you coming out Friday night? It's Theo's last game of the season." 

"Depends, will the love of my life be there?" 

"Oh, yeah. About that."

"He better be one of the cute ones Lil." 

"You know you love me?" 

"I don't think I will when you finish that sentence." 

"Well, Theo asked everyone and they're all either busy with family stuff, have a partner already or are injured and won't be able to go.." As if my week needed to be worse. What the fuck do I do now? I could make something up. Tell them he's one of the guys that got injured. They'll want to see photos though. Gahd. "I have only one suggestion and it's not one either me or Theo want but if your desperate..." 

"So fucking desperate Lil." I lifted my head up quickly, staring at her in hopes she'd come through with a saving grace that wouldn't kill me next week. 

"Cole said he could do it." Great. Greeeaattt. FUCKING MARVELOUS. 

"Oh." What the fuck do I do now? 

Would I rather have a crucifixion from my parents and be ambushed into dates with Sebastian or have to admit to Cole that maybe I do need him to save me? 

Neither option is great. 

Neither option is a good one. 

Neither option is one I want to make but I got myself into this pile of shit so I'm going to have to claw my way out of it somehow. 

"Theo was talking to one of the guys and Cole just said he could do it, if you needed it that bad, he didn't have any plans, no training. I guess he's exactly what you want right? To piss your parents off? Tall, dark and dangerous and you guys have spoken a few times." 

"He drove me to the bar last week and we had an argument." Lil stared at me with a blank face. "He came to pick something up, I mentioned I was running late for my shift, he said he'd call you if I didn't get in because I'd be walking in the dark alone but I was ranting at him for calling you Golding's girl, next thing I know I'm storming out of his car." 

"You stood there this whole time saying you've had a boring week of just working when you were sitting on that? Pass me my guards." Her hand fluttered over to the benches behind me and I turned to hand her what she wanted. 

"It's unimportant." 

"I'm interested in the fact that you have had multiple conversations with this guy in 2 months when Theo has worked with him for nearly 2 years and they've exchanged the fewest amount of words possible." 

"That's because Theo can be a dick to people he doesn't know."

"So are you going to accept it?" 

"What? Cole saying he'll be my date to my sister's wedding? Yeah, sure, I have a death wish, why not." 

"It's your choice to make Cal. You take Cole and well- you spend a few days with Cole an hour  away or you deal with your parents and Sebastian. I'd come but I have the competition."

"Next time I'm going to tell them I'm Bi and in an open relationship with you and Theo." Lilah burst into laughter that echoed through the too cold room but I was deadly serious. I wish that's what I'd said in the first place. It'd be so much easier to talk Theo into going along with it than it would be spending 4 days with Cole. 

"Think about it. Just don't take too long because he's pretty much your only option." My only option. Wonderful.