Distance

Earlier in the morning, Judy prepared breakfast and lunch, and they went for 9 hours until they arrived at a friend's restaurant for tonight's lunch. As for George, he listed everything the family needed for the week. He would deliver the rest later and then tell everyone what to take or not.

"So, kids, you will just need to take all the things you think are worth it. You will need to make a sacrifice, in summary, 50% of your toys and posters you need to abandon. As for your clothes, you just need the necessities, as they will be delivered by service later," said George quickly, still busy with many things.

The kids looked at each other in dismay. Having to leave half their toys and limit their clothes was very hard due to the attachment they had to them, but they knew the van wouldn't take all of their stuff. So for Nathaniel, he would choose his toys randomly by playing the coin toss game. If heads, he takes it, and if tails, he drops it. After ten minutes, he dropped his teddy bear, drawings, and board game and chose to take his Lego, his Picsou magazine, his poster of Ninja Turtles, and books because his parents considered them toys. For clothes, just jackets for rainy days, pants, shirts, underwear, and that's all. Of course, he didn't forget the basics his dad forgot to mention, like his toothbrush and toothpaste. After packing up his things for the move, Nathaniel went downstairs to tell his dad he had finished.

"Dad, I'm done picking my toys and clothes," he said to George.

With his sons' help, George finished packing the last few items, and the entire family gathered together for a final breakfast in the house. After breakfast, the family said their goodbyes and closed the door behind them. Outside, a group of people, some familiar and others not, had gathered and cheered loudly, offering encouragement to the family as they left the house.

"Adios, mi amigo," said Jerry in a cry.

"Adios, Jerry," said George in a soft tone. "When I put my butt down there, I will send you a letter to let you know if the bakery there is worth it, or I will send yours to me." Both of them laughed hard.

"See you, Judy. Remember to rest if you don't feel well," said Camilla.

"I won't forget, I promise," Judy said while hugging her tightly.

"This is it, kiddo," said Sergio.

"This is it, Sergio," said Nathaniel while shaking his hand. Sergio was always special to him because when he had a problem he couldn't talk to his parents about, Sergio was always there to listen without judging, and he hoped he would find someone like him in Tennessee.

After giving the key to Gary, the old man, they were surprised by Judy's sister and Andy running with bags in their hands.

"Oh gosh, we made it," said Gabriella, drinking water. After that, she said, "Can we join you? After many reflections, we've decided that we too need a new life after all."

The family was taken by surprise, not expecting this.

"So my goodbye was completely useless," said Nathaniel, disappointed.

"Don't complain. At least you have good news," said Andy, and everyone laughed.

The family loaded Gabriella and Andy's bags into the van and got on their way. As they drove along the open road, there was a buzz of excitement and nervous energy in the air.

Nathaniel chatted with Andy in the backseat, asking him questions about Tennessee because his cousin had already gone there during a vacation, and what they might find. Judy sat up front, giving directions while George drove. In the middle seats, Gabriella caught up with details of her last-minute decision to come.

After a few hours, they stopped to refuel and stretch their legs. The kids ran around, burning off energy while the adults prepared a quick picnic lunch. As they ate, George discussed route options with Judy and her sister. That afternoon, Nathaniel took a nap while Andy looked out the window in awe at the changing scenery. Night fell when they arrived at George's friend's restaurant, the Galliopan.

"Ah, you're finally here. We've been waiting for your arrival. Come, have a seat, everyone," said Chef Marco. A waitress took them to their table. Nathaniel felt something strange about that guy. He didn't know why or what but dismissed it because he thought there was no reason for him to be suspicious about his dad's friends. As soon as they were seated, the waitress said, "What can I serve you, sir?"

"Can we have the menu, please? We will tell you our order after we have gone through it," said George.

"Sorry, I forgot to give you the menu. It won't take long," replied the waitress.

"Do you think she forgot on purpose?" Nathaniel asked Andy slowly.

"Yeah, I also think so. It's too big a thing to forget. Don't let your guard down; there's something not right here," said Andy.

"How was the trip here? Is everyone doing well?" asked the chef.

"Yeah, everything was fine except for the time we got lost. We realized that we had put the map incorrectly and had to return two kilometers to get back on the right road," said George.

"So let me serve you my specialty to make this night better. Don't you think, George?" said the chef.

"Is this what I think, Marco? It's been 10 years since I didn't eat that," said George.

"You will be served shortly. The waitress will not be late. Additionally, I will treat those three boys to a taste of my special milkshake," said the chef.

"Thanks, Marco, and don't forget the cheese when you make the special," said George.

After the chef left, the waitress brought the menu to the clients and informed them that they could order. After the client ordered, she returned to the counter.

"Hey Andy, do you think we need to drink those milkshakes?" said Nathaniel.

"We don't have any other choice; otherwise, they will think badly of us. Plus, your little brother will drink it, and I don't think his parents will appreciate it if we don't give him his milkshake. Let's just hope it won't kill us," said Andy.

"I hope too," said Nathaniel.

After a few minutes, the chef and the waitress served all of their orders. When the chef served the boys their milkshakes, his reaction was quick. "Drink it faster," he said without telling you, but you could see it in his face.

Nathaniel mustered all his courage and downed all the milkshakes, praying that nothing would go wrong. To his surprise, nothing happened; he even liked it. At this moment, the suspicions of Nathaniel and Andy faded slowly. After finishing dinner, the chef wished them a good travel. When the waitress said, "Goodbye, girls."

Nathaniel was surprised and said, "Did she just call us girls?"

Judy responded, "She must be tired and confused due to the long journey." George agreed. They all headed to the van, feeling exhausted. Judy took over driving as George took a break. After four hours, they finally arrived at the village where a sign read, "Rolling Green Hills."

When they saw an old woman in a poncho welcoming them, she said, "Hello, my children. Welcome to Green Hills, comrades. Here you live with what you have.