012. an almost kiss 💋

evangeline cromwell

evangeline cromwell

I texted Henry till almost 5 a.m. until I heard my dad coming in the kitchen and I freaked out, putting my phone under the pillow and closing my eyes, fake sleeping.

I heard the door open. My dad stands in front of the door for a few seconds then leaves, making sure to close the door as quietly as possible so he won't wake me up. I almost feel bad that I stayed up this late to talk to Henry. But this might be the only way to communicate with him from now on, so I just have to continue feeling bad.

After that, it didn't take me long to fall asleep. I haven't gone to bed that late since forever. When I stayed up late it was usually to read a book. But I haven't read a book in months. Stupid reading slump.

"Evangeline!" My mom screamed my name, waking me up. "Are you awake?"

I yawn and scratch my eyes before answering her. "Yeah.." my words were trailing off as another yawn took over me.

"Well, come down sweetie. We need to talk to you." That sentence made my sleep go away. For a moment, I forgot that today is the day I won't be able to leave the house anymore. As far as I know, they could hire a bodyguard to watch me every second of the day. I couldn't even use my phone.

"Umm, I'm coming." I take a big breath and exit my room, entering my kitchen where Mom and Dad usually sit, drinking their coffee together. I've always admired their love for each other. I look up to it. To my prince charming who will save and love me just like my father did to my mother.

I sat in the chair in front of the circle table and looked at them. I couldn't read any emotions on their faces. Were they angry? Sad? Disappointed? Did they hate me?

I moved my gaze towards the hands on my lap.

"Me and your father talked and we realised that one hour was truly not enough." My sad face suddenly changed. I lifted my head and looked at them. No emotion again. "So, we decided something."

My heart was beating so fast and I was pretty sure you could hear it. "You will choose a day and that day you're free to go outside." My ears couldn't believe what I was hearing. Was it true? Or did my mind decide to play a trick on me? "But, it has to be Saturday or Sunday so you can focus on school."

I nodded happily. I can continue going to school and hanging out. This was the best news I could ask for. "But," Dad started talking with a cold tone. "If you dare to sneak out on another day, all of this is done. No school, no hanging out, no Andrew on Wednesday. Nothing. Do you understand?"

Dad really knew how to make me feel small. "Yes, sir!"

He scoffed and took a sip of his coffee. "Wait. It's Saturday, right?"

They nodded. "Well, I'll choose Saturday as my day. I'll go brush my teeth, take a shower and go."

As I was about to leave, my mother's voice stopped me. "If you want to hang out with that person from yesterday, I would like to meet him sometime."