017. christmas 🎄

evangeline cromwell

evangeline cromwell

The last thing I expected was for Henry to pick me up from home without asking. "You shouldn't have bothered. It's not that much of a walk."

"But I did," Henry said as he looked me up and down. I was dressed in a red dress. It was a red velvet dress that almost reached my knees and had perle surrendering my waist.

"This is for you, Mrs. Cromwell." Henry handed her a gift. "And this is for you, Mr. Cromwell."

Mom had that grateful look on her face while Dad looked like he was ready to beat the shit out of him. Which I think is a little bit rude. "Aw, thank you so much, Henry. I feel bad I haven't got you anything."

"Don't worry Mrs. Cromwell. It was my pleasure." He smiled and for a moment his eyes were sparkling.

"Take good care of my daughter. And I want her home by midnight." My dad's serious voice cut the nice energy that was between us. I gave him a look but he either ignored it or didn't even bother to see it.

"Don't worry, Mr. Cromwell, I'll take good care of your Evangeline." Henry didn't sound angry or anything but the way he clenched his fist made me realise he wasn't that calm.

"Merry Christmas." Mom intervened between the two of them. "Have a nice day, alright Eva?"

"I will, Ma. Don't worry." Sometimes I forget how grateful I should be to have my mom. "I'll see you tomorrow. Bye, Dad! Bye, Ma!" I waved at them and I didn't let Henry say something to them because I dragged him towards his car.

He opens the door for me and I put the gifts in the back seat. "I hope you didn't spend too much on those gifts," Henry said as he entered the car.

"I won't tell ya." The delivery was free if the price was over 100 dollars so you bet I got that delivery free. It's like a win.

He gave me a look but I pretended I didn't see it. "I'm sorry about dad. He's just trying to protect me."

Henry starts the car and I look out of the window to see my ma waving in the distance and dad sitting still next to her. "It's fine, don't worry." He reassured me.

It wasn't fine. Henry hasn't done anything wrong yet my father treats him like a criminal. And it bothered me because Henry is my friend and I care about him. "Did you buy some gifts for Matteo and Reed?" I ask, trying to make conversation.

"Those motherfuckers already opened them. They waited for me to fall asleep and run towards the Christmas tree." He shook his head in disappointment.

"What did you buy?"

From his radio, a song started playing and it got my attention from the start.

Oh
We almost got away, we cut it close
The city's gettin' loud
If I choke, it's only 'cause I'm scared to be alone
Been tryin' to work it out, you should know