020. the truth 💔

evangeline cromwell

evangeline cromwell

I felt Henry moving around the room. "What are you doing?" I murmured, half asleep. I was not even sure he heard me.

"I'm just going to drink a glass of water. Go back to sleep, river." The words came out like a whisper.

"But we have..." I was too tired to speak but I forced myself to get the words out. "In the room."

"Not anymore. You drank it all." Henry added with a small laugh. "I knew something when I started calling you river."

"Don't lie. I did not drink it all." I tried opening my eyes but they felt heavy and I gave up after a few seconds. "You are a liar, Henry."

I don't know if I was only talking about the water or about the other thing. "Yeah, but I'm your liar." He sweetly whispered and kissed my cheek. I instantly smiled at the action and I could finally open my eyes. "Now get some rest."

He was dressed all in black. And different from the clothes he went to bed with. He was going somewhere and that place definitely was not the kitchen. "You're not going to get water."

"I'll be back as quickly as I can, ok?" This time he didn't bother lying to me anymore.

And I didn't bother asking further questions because I was too tired. Tired physically and of his lies. "Just don't get hurt," I said as I turned my back to him and tried to stop my tears.

When he was outside, I could hear him talking to Reed or Matteo. I couldn't make sense of all of their conversations but there's a thing I'm 99% sure I heard right: "This is the last one and we will have to leave Brookside."

It was 9 in the morning when I came down into the kitchen. "Evangeline, can you believe we are five days into the new year and Henry still hasn't said Happy New Year to me?"

"Henry, how could you? He's your friend!" I ally with Reed. I was a little bit mad at Henry so I had to let my anger out somehow.

"Best friend, may I add," Reed said dramatically as he put his famous eggs on our plates.

"You're not my best friend," Henry answered, and that made Reed stop for a few seconds.

"Careful, Henry. I have a pan of hot, boiling oil in my hand and I'm not afraid to use it." The man threatened as he continued feeding us. "And besides, who could it be? You only know me, Matteo, and Evangeline."

"I do know other people!" Henry started defending himself.

"Like how, huh? The voices in your head?" Reed simply said as he put himself on the chair.