Chapter 19: A Step Closer

With half of the legalities now behind them, the child adoption services informed Eleanora that the next step would be a house visit.

This visit would ensure Tommy's safety and well-being, verifying that the environment he would be a part of was suitable for his lifelong guardianship.

Leaving the police station, Eleanora felt a mix of relief and anticipation. The prospect of a house visit meant they were one step closer to solidifying their journey as a family.

Tommy, sensing the importance of the moment, clung to Eleanora, his small hand tightly holding hers.

As they walked away from the station, the city lights started to illuminate the evening, casting a warm glow on the duo. Tommy, not wanting to separate from Eleanora, looked up with big, trusting eyes.

"Are we really going to live together forever?" he asked, a hint of vulnerability in his voice.

Eleanora knelt down, meeting his gaze with a reassuring smile. "Yes, Tommy. We're taking all the steps to make sure we can be together, always. You and me, a team, okay?"

Tommy beamed, finding comfort in her words. The weight of the day's proceedings had begun to lift, replaced by a sense of contentment. Eleanora, too, felt a profound satisfaction in the unfolding of the day's events.

Hand in hand, they ventured into the evening, the city around them buzzing with life. Each step they took was a stride toward a future that held the promise of shared joys, enduring love, and the warmth of a family built on the foundation of connection.

Wanting to mark the occasion, Eleanora decided to treat Tommy to a special moment. They made their way to a nice cafe known for its delightful ice cream selections. The aroma of freshly brewed coffee and the sweet scent of pastries greeted them as they entered.

Seated at a cozy corner, Eleanora and Tommy perused the menu, faces lighting up with anticipation. When the waiter arrived, Tommy, after careful consideration, confidently ordered his favorite flavor – chocolate chip cookie dough.

"This is the best ice cream ever!" Tommy exclaimed between bites.

Eleanora chuckled, "I'm glad you think so, Tommy. Today is a special day, and we're celebrating all the wonderful things to come."

Just as they were lost in the sweetness of the moment, Eleanora's eyes widened as she saw a somewhat familiar figure entering the café with a woman.

She visibly froze, unable to believe her eyes—it was her older brother, whom she hadn't seen in over 4 years since leaving their family home.

The unexpected encounter added a layer of complexity to an otherwise celebratory atmosphere.