Signing Day

I started working under Andre right after me and Josiah stopped talking. People kept telling me how dumb I was " falling back " and not fighting for my friendship. They didn't see it the way I saw it. If Josiah really loved me, he would have choose me. Besides, Tiffany and Josiah knew each other since they were babies. I don't have a chance. One thing I did know for sure was that Josiah isn't the ONLY conscious man in America. I will be just fine. I'm used to crushing on boys that didn't like me back. I mean story of my life. I like a guy; I make him my best friend; and then he ends up with a girl with some Brazilian, Melanesian, Indian or some shit (Not natural) 28 inch weave and huge butt. It happens so much it's kinda funny. After the two years of working under Andre, I'm finally going to sign to a label. I should be excited, but I just want to get started with my work. I doubt I'm going to sell anyways.

(In the plane with Andre going to Carson, California)

Andre: Are you going to say anything? You're about to get signed today. Usually, Mother f**kers are screaming and drinking up all the free alcohol. You sick?

May: (Rubs forehead) Nah, I just don't like surprises.. Where are we going and what label are you signing me too? God, Andre if it's YoungMoney I will kill you.

Andre: (Laughs) You'll know when we get there. I promise I'm putting you in good hands.

May: (Looks at him sideways)...

Andre: (laughs) I hate when you look at me like that... Can you just trust me like you always do?

May: Ok... (Takes a glass of Hennessy and nods to Andre)

Andre: That's more like it.

( An hour they land and they drive to the destination )...

Andre can't be anymore childish covering my eyes as we walk into the studio. "You can't see anything let until you sign", he says. "Don't trip over the bag of money", he says. I can't help but laugh at how serious he is about keeping this a secret. We ended up in a room with a huge table and sitting there was a huge dude with a stripe shirt. He looks like a over-sized kindergartner. I'm going to have to try my hardest to take this whole day seriously.

Andre: My man! How you been Ant! Dawg, this is the girl I was talking about man.

May: Hello. (smiles)

"Ant": Sup, my name is Anthony Tiffith, but you're going to be calling me "boss" or just "dawg". What ever rocks your boat.

May: Can I call you Anthony?

Anthony: That's new, alright. Your name is Mahalah right.

May: May for short, but yeah. So, I'm being signed to Top Dawg Entertainment. Wow, (smiles hard) thank God.

Anthony: I see you know about us, that's whats up. You ready to get started... (hands her a contact) You can sign here...

May:... (Starts reading contract)..(Thoughts to self) Shit, I don't want to accidentally sign my soul to the devil... I'm reading all this shit.

(Two hours later from discussing almost every part of the contract)

May: (Looks around the table one more time)...Alright, I'm in.

Andre: About f**cking time...

May: (Glares at him)

Andre: (Laughs) Sorry May, just sign it.

May: (signs and exhales) Ok... (gets up from table) so what now?

Anthony: You're not done, you have one more contract to sign sadly.

May: For what?

Anthony: I want you to join the Black Hippy group in T.D.E.

May: (Stares at Anthony shocked)...Uh... Isn't that with Jay Rock, School Boy Q, AB Soul and K..K...

Andre: Kendrick Lamar...Yeah. I told him that you would be a perfect 5th for the group and he agrees.

May: (Laughs) Y'all... Y'all are pulling my leg right... right?

Anthony: Nope. Here we go again.. (Slides contract across table towards to May)... I'll go get some coffee real fast.. (Leaves room)

May: (Looks at Andre) I hope this isn't the amazing secret that you were trying to not tell me...

Andre: Surprise (half smiles)...

May: Andre! Seriously? How would I even look joining them...They are like freaking geniuses... I mean I knew if I just signed to a label.. If I didn't sell well they would just drop me... but now... I have to sell. Damn, I have to sell... You did this on purpose to put me under pressure...

Andre: You're smarter than what people give you credit for.. That's exactly why I pushed Dawg to put you in Black Hippy. I knew you wouldn't try your best if you were just in the background of T.D.E. I know your talent.. I know your drive... You didn't leave the studio for a week to figure out every button and sound in that bitch. I know you can do this May...

May: Sometimes, I really wonder what you see in me... I'm just happy you see something.

Andre: Alright girl... (looks away) I'm worth too much to be getting all emotional.

May: (laughs and starts reading contract)...