Chapter 1

"Where did this girl go? She's disappeared at the perfect moment, just when the ladke-wale have come to see her. Can you please get the door? Let me go see why she's taking so long." A shaadi ka rishta, meaning a wedding proposal, had been decided on as the first option, and the possible groom-to-be and his family were coming to meet Aarohi and her family for the first time.

Aarohi had gotten ready early, far too early, and had retreated to her art studio in the basement to work on her latest piece. "Chalte chalte yun hi koi mil gaya tha..." Meena Kumari's song from Pakeezah, a 60s Bollywood film, was playing softly in the background when Aarohi's mother, Anu, found her sitting on the wooden stool in front of her easel with more paint on her hands and face than on her apron.

"Chalte chalte...hmhmm. Oh Maa, hey. Look I've been working on the lighting, it's a bit better than before, right?" Anu shook her head at her elder daughter. "Really? Everything was ready, and you were ready first, before anyone else. You just had to come put paint all over yourself." "But Maa, that's why I wore an apron." Anu nearly snorted at that. She picked up Aarohi's phone from the side table it was set on and snapped a quick picture of her, showing her the reality.

Aarohi smiled sheepishly. "Sorry, I didn't realize I got so much paint on myself. It's ok, I'll wash it off jaldi se." Anu smiled inwardly. She was definitely tense, but she couldn't ignore the humor in the situation. Her daughter just ended up in her own world sometimes, and nothing could change that. It's what made her so talented, so unique, but it sometimes ended up being her biggest weakness in a world that ran miles ahead of you if you weren't present every second.

Aarohi walked out of the basement bathroom still covered in paint. "Maa there's no towel in there to dry myself, and we've ran out of paper towels, too." Anu huffed in exasperation. "Oh God, your father just has to do the laundry before we have guests. He's been entertaining them by himself for the past few minutes. It'll look bad if don't get back soon. Let me try to sneak you upstairs and I'll help your father entertain them. Par jaldi se wapas neeche aa jaana, ok?"

"Of course, Maa. Let's go." Unfortunately, the basement stairs opened up right next to the living room, but fortunately, there was a pillar right in front of the door. With her mom and the pillar for cover, Aarohi could try to slip upstairs without being seen. But that would only work if everyone was seated on the couches at the far side of the living room and nobody stood up and walked around with curiosity. Of course, her luck being the way it was, that was exactly what happened.

"Namashkar, Malini-ji, Yash-ji." Her mother had stood in front of her for cover, but as she turned towards the steps leading upstairs, she looked up into light brown eyes that seemed as surprised as she. Busted. There was nothing to do but introduce herself and take charge of the situation. "Hello, I assume you are Rishi."

"And you must be Aarohi. I have to admit, I was admiring the painting hung up here," he gestured to the painting on the wall in front of them, "but I didn't expect the artist to be a painting herself." "There are some artists who paint themselves, but I don't have that talent. I just happen to be an extension of my apron." Anu turned towards Aarohi, shocked to hear her voice, but recovered quickly. "Ah, you both have already started talking. Well, since everyone is here, let's sit down and enjoy the chai and snacks while we chat."

"Aarohi, beta, you have quite the sense of humor. And amazing timing. In these five minutes, you've made my husband and I, and more importantly, my son, laugh more than we usually do in one day." "Thank you aunty, but the conversation makes itself entertaining when speaking with people as open and comfortable as you." "You've taught your daughter well, Anu-ji. She knows that buttering up her mother-in-law will guarantee a happy future."

"Aunty, if you think this is buttering up, you're sadly mistaken. You're looking absolutely stunning today. You should definitely post a picture on social media and the caption could only possibly be one word, 'stunning'. Now that I know that you'll dress up prettier than Rekha-ji when coming to see a possible daughter-in-law, I'll forever remain your son's possible rishta so that you may dress up so beautifully and come to see me every day."

Malini shook her head, "You've got me, I can't think of a reply to that fast enough. Anyways, we've monopolized enough of your time." "Yes, Malini-ji. Aarohi, perhaps you'd like to speak with Rishi in your room. Aur haan, apne saath snacks bhi le jaana." "Actually Maa, if it's ok with Rishi, I thought we could go on a walk outside. And no need for snacks, hum tazi hawa khalenge." "Great idea. I haven't been outside today and the fresh air is calling my name."

"So, where are you taking me on our walk?" "There's a small fountain and gazebo a little ways away. I thought we could talk and I could show you a bit of my community along the way." "Where should we start the conversation? Ah, it's obvious. The architecture in your community is mind-blowing, so innovative." Aarohi smiled at his mock-serious tone. "Actually, when my sister and I walk along this path, we do discuss the architecture, randomly calling things Edwardian or Georgian, or naming paint and brick colors. As if we were architects or designers."

"Perhaps not an architect or designer, but you are clearly an artist. And earlier, when I said you looked like a painting yourself, I wasn't referring to your current colorful state, but that you look as beautiful as your paintings." Aarohi paused for a moment before replying. "Your mother clearly raised you well. You understand that buttering up your possible future wife is the best way to a happy life." Rishi huffed out a laugh at that, as if it was uncontrolled and slipped out without his permission.

"Mom was right, your timing is impeccable." Aarohi raised her hands in namaste then lifted them to the sky. "Sab Devi Maiyya ki kripa se. Actually, before we continue this conversation in the traditional 'what are your hobbies' type of chitchat, I wanted to talk about something much more important."