Chapter 8

Alright, guys! Here's where the plot starts to thicken and this chapter is sort of a prelude to the real masla of the story. Enjoy!

Aarohi leaned back against the seat and stared out the window. The blurring city at night was a calming view. Just as she felt that her eyes were being pulled down by gravity, they had reached home. Everyone was tired, and they stumbled out of the car straight up the stairs to their bedrooms. Within minutes, Aarohi was falling back onto her mattress, which in that moment, felt like it was made of clouds. 

She was exhausted from all the work of the past few weeks, but more than that, her soul felt weary. For months, she had to handle so many people who felt they had the right to stick their noses into her and her family's life. She knew that Rishi was right, if it wasn't for her, this wedding wouldn't have even happened, much less with so much normalcy. Her thoughts drifted away into a dreamless sleep. The next morning, Aarohi shot up at the sound of the alarm. It took a minute to calm her racing heart. She had woken fearing that she might be horribly late for that morning's event. Aarohi was sitting on the kitchen counter sipping hot water when her mother came downstairs. 

"Coffee's ready, and there's some hot water, too." "Perfect, I'll just have coffee first. My head is so stuffy this morning." Aarohi slipped off the counter and poured the coffee into mugs while Anu massaged her temples. "I had an undisturbed sleep, the first in many days actually, but I don't know why I still feel like this." "I know, Maa. I still feel tired, too. I'm just glad we have a few more hours before the Mooh Dikhai." Aarohi and Anu walked over and sat on opposite ends of the sofa with their legs curled. Anu took a sip of her coffee and sighed in appreciation. "It's so hot, just what I need. And the sugar is perfect." "Just a lucky day, I guess."

"I think today will be interesting. Malini-ji was telling me yesterday that Rhea's family has an interesting ritual where after the Mooh Dikhai, the bride gets her future read by an astrologer, their family astrologer, regarding her married life." "I don't think we'll be allowed to be in the room when the astrologer reads her horoscope." "True, but I've never heard of such a ritual before, and I'm sure we'll find out what he tells Rhea." 

Anu and Aarohi arrived at Rishi's family home for the Mooh Dikhai ritual, dressed according to the unofficial color theme in pastel sarees. Mooh Dikhai, translated directly as 'face reveal' is a custom where the new daughter-in-law of the house is officially introduced to close family, friends, and community members and receives gifts and blessings from all. While Anu gave Rhea a more traditional gift of silver household items, Aarohi decided to give her something a bit more personal, and smiled to herself, hoping that both Rishi and Rhea would later appreciate her gesture. 

Mooh Dikhai rituals were usually only for women, but in this instance, Rishi insisted on staying with Rhea, and they were both seated on the low couch as Aarohi lifted the scarf covering Rhea's face, looked at her, then placed the gift in her hands. "Aarohi, I know this isn't exactly the right time, but thank you. Why are you giving another gift, though? Anu aunty already gave us one." "I was happy to help, Rhea. And this gift is just a little something from my end, nothing fancy." Rishi placed his hand on Rhea's and smiled as Aarohi stepped forward for the next person.

Finally, the time had come for the astrology reading. The astrologer requested everyone to leave the room save for Malini, Rishi, Rhea, and Rhea's mother. Ten minutes later, Malini and Rhea's mom stepped out with smiles showing a bit too much happiness, and announced that Rishi and Rhea would enjoy a long and happy married life. Technically, their announcement was not a lie, but neither was it the whole truth. 

While the rest of the ladies congratulated Malini and Rhea's mother and enjoyed the refreshments laid out, Aarohi walked over to Rishi and Rhea, who had emerged from the room a few moments later. "What happened? You both look tense and Rhea, you're so pale. Is it morning sickness? Do you want some dry crackers or something to drink, maybe just a glass of water?" "No, it's not morning sickness. But there is some news that is important for you to know. Will you come outside to the garden with us?"